Whether you are writing a press release or a blog it is extremely important to know what tools to use to produce an effective and engaging piece of writing. The first two lines must be striking to ensure you catch your reader’s attention. The rest must be informative, memorable and unputdownable.
Our Writing Powerful Press Releases and Blogs for Public Sector training course helps you navigate the key strategic decisions and writing tips you need to create well-planned, expertly written and efficiently evaluated press releases and blogs.
Working with communications trainer, Sue Calthorpe, you’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of what you need to do to produce outstanding press releases and blogs.
|About the Chair: Sue Calthorpe
|Susan works with organisations and individuals to improve their written communications skills.
She worked as a regional and national newspaper journalist before setting up a full-service communications company, now established for 30 years.
She works with public and private sector organisations to help with:
- Effective emails
- Report writing
- Briefings and submissions
- Persuasive and influential writing techniques
- Promotional writing
- Effective complaint handling
Her recent clients include Legal & General, HSBC, BRIT, the Law Society, the Civil Aviation Authority, Express Medicals Ltd, the Intellectual Property Office and the Office for National Statistics. She has also worked with many government departments and has recently undertaken particular projects with the Home Office, HMRC, HMT, MOD, DfID, the FCO, the Information Commissioner’s Office and the Insolvency Service.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer's Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 10:30
The Basics of Effective Press Release Writing
- Understand your target audience and how to write for multiple audiences
- How to format for readers with short attention spans
- Examples of good, bad and so bad it hurts practice
10:30 - 11:15
Writing Press Releases
- Structuring a press release
- Style, length and best words to use
- Keeping it simple and avoiding jargon
11:15 - 11:30
11:30 - 12:45
- Selecting newsworthy information
- Writing attention-grabbing headlines
- Presenting facts
- How to approach negative information
13:30 - 14:00
Plan and Write an Effective Blog
- What would you like your blog to achieve?
- Select the right style, tone and content to reach your audience
- Produce quality, targeted content
14:00 - 14:30
The Perfect Title
- Catching the attention of your audience
- Getting the word order right
- Best practice when writing headlines
14:30 - 14:45
14:45 - 16:00
Writing Your Blog
- Understanding how people read online and writing to mirror it
- Writing with authority, humour and integrity
- How to incorporate keywords and key phrases within your writing
- Adding the right image to complement your blog
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
A: Company Name: Govnet Communications
Company Address: 3rd Floor ,St James Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M1 6PP
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 2 weeks, 1 week and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected]
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.