Data Protection Officers (DPO) are now at the forefront of understanding, managing and advising on data protection issues within their organisation. They must often carry out this role with limited support and technical guidance.
This Excelling in the Role of Data Protection Officer training course has been specifically designed to help you as a DPO to manage your increased workload and responsibilities.
Attend this timely course to gain an overview of recent data protection legislation. Take away tools and techniques to manage data breaches, and understand how best to carry out data protection impact assessments. Leave the day with a toolkit to help you better perform your duties as a DPO.
|About the Chair: Iain Harrison
|Iain Harrison is a specialist on data protection, environmental information, freedom of information and open data, information security and surveillance law.
Iain brings 15 years of experience in delivering consultancy, advice and guidance in information law-related topics to a variety of public, private and voluntary organisations. He currently manages an Information Governance & Risk Team and is responsible for preparation and implementation of the GDPR within a large unitary local authority and giving support to its partner organisations.
In addition to his day-job, Iain continues to deliver training and consultancy on information law issues to a variety of public-sector, third sector and private clients. The GDPR, both planning for and implementation is his main current focus, and he has recently worked with voluntary organisations, schools and the health sector to deliver training and consultancy.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer’s Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 11:00
The DPO Role and Data Protection Legislation
- Gain a quick overview of the latest data protection regulation: DPA Act 2018, GDPR, and FOI
- What does the legislation say about being a DPO?
- Understand key roles and responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with data protection regulation
11:00 - 11:15
11:15 - 12:00
DPO and Your Organisation
- Engender an appreciation of data protection within your organisation
- Make the DPO role stand out within your organisation
- Confidently communicate data protection advice to senior management
- Develop effective training programmes for your staff
12:00 - 13:00
Managing and Reducing Personal Data Breaches
- Learn how to identify a data breach
- Understand when to report a data breach
- Effectively respond to a data breach
- Prevent a data breach
- Learn when an individual’s right and freedoms are negatively affected
14:00 - 14:45
Designing an Effective Data Protection Impact Assessment
- Gain an overview of data protection impact assessments
- Learn when to carry out a data protection impact assessment
- Ascertain what a data protection impact assessment should look like
- Examine bad and best practice examples
- Clarify the DPO’s role in DPIAs
14:45 - 15:00
15:00 - 16:00
Workshop: Designing a DPO Toolkit
- Ensure full compliance with data protection regulation
- Develop strategies to enhance your organisation’s information governance procedures
- Learn how to mitigate and manage privacy risks
- Learn how to communicate with the ICO
- Take back a DPO toolkit to your organisation
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation and Close
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to email@example.com or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email@example.com if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.