Communicating internal or external policies can be a time consuming and complex task. Whether you are writing HR or financial policies or procedures for your organisation, it is essential that they are communicated clearly, succinctly and concisely.
This Successfully Writing Policies and Procedures training course will give you the necessary skills and tools to communicate policies in plain English, with the limited use of jargon and technical language. Write policies, internal procedures and guidance that can be clearly understood and acted upon.
By attending this Successfully Writing Policies and Procedures training course, gain the essentials to policy writing, learn techniques on how to plan your policy document, organise information in a coherent and structured way, create clear and concise messages, and turn technical language into engaging prose.
Through real-life policy materials, you will improve how you communicate policies, to ensure maximum impact.
|About the trainer: Sue Calthorpe
|Susan is an experienced communications professional who trains a number of high-profile organisations to enhance their communication, through writing in a more business-critical way to writing more effective reports. Susan works with a wide number of public and private sector organisations to help improve writing skills and wider communications, with a range of training including the production of communications strategies, face-to-face briefing, communicating complex information, presentation, media handling and key messaging and a variety of advanced writing and verbal presentation techniques.
Her recent clients include Aston Martin, Fujifilm, BP, LA Fitness, G4S, Hanover, Norfolk County Council, British Airways, Marks and Spencer, Devon County Council, Citizen’s Advice Bureau, The General Dental Council, the Wine Institute of California, Shelter and The Law Society.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer’s Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 10:45
The Essentials of Writing Policies
- Understanding the reader
- Who is the policy document for?
- Producing a hierarchy of information
- Consider the differences between writing for compliance and governance
- Know how to write so you are understood, not misunderstood
10:45 - 11:00
11:00 - 12:00
Planning a Policy and Procedures Document
- Discover planning tools and frameworks
- Develop techniques to help you identify relevant purpose and content
12:00 - 13:00
- Understand how to group different types of information
- Learn how to effectively present information
- Discuss reading patterns on paper and on screen to decide on the best layout for your work
- Gain best practice techniques to focus on value not volume of information
14:00 - 14:30
Create Clear and Concise Messages
- Understand what clear English is and how to achieve it
- Learn how to use a concise writing style to make sure your message clear and understandable
14:30 - 15:00
Why Knowing the Difference between Technical Language and Jargon is Key
- Take a look at what language you should avoid to make work readable
- Learn how to keep meaning in your writing without confusing your audience
15:00 - 16:00
Writing Policy: Reviewing Real-Life Policies and Procedures
To embed today’s learning, participants will review real-life policy examples to quality assure them using some criteria discussed during the day’s course
A: Company Name: Govnet Communications
Company Address: 3rd Floor, St James Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M1 6PP
A: Yes. Simply email email@example.com after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email email@example.com.