In public sector procurement, choosing the best suppliers is key. With suppliers poring over specifications to find the meaning behind the text, every word counts.
Clear, concise and comprehensive tender specifications ensure that you save time, avoid costly errors and achieve your desired outcomes easily.
Led by procurement expert Marc Ibbotson, the day is structured around real-life examples of best practice. This interactive Successful Specification Writing training course provides you with the key skills, structure and strategy to ensure you produce successful specifications every time.
What previous delegates have said about Successful Specification Writing:
“A good overview course and some good practical tips and information to use daily.” – Contract Manager, NHS Trust
“Very good training, very experienced and knowledgeable trainer, good to hear other organisations point of view.” – Contracts Negotiator, NHS BSA
“This course was very informative and enjoyable providing some good interactive exercises and at the right pace.” – Procurement and Contract Advisor, Lewisham Homes
|About the Trainer: Marc Ibbotson
|Progressive and inspirational procurement professional with 25 years of experience contributing to operational performance in a commercial and procurement capacity.
Extensively skilled with a pragmatic approach for pioneering efficiency strategies and managing commercial contractual obligations. Record of excellence in delivering cost improvement initiatives, establishing category management strategies for market management. Facilitated change into organisations and integrated modern technological advances to deliver against challenging strategic and operational objectives. Experience in developing, writing, and facilitating procurement courses.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainers Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 10:45
What Makes a Successful Specification?
- Ensuring your specification meets your aims
- The key components of a clear, concise specification
- Discuss the barriers to good specification writing
- Dissect examples to discover best practice
10:45 - 11:30
Writing to be Understood
- How to avoid ambiguity, nuance and misleading questions
- Effective structures and vocabulary to use
- Practical exercises to re-draft unsuccessful examples
11:30 - 11:45
11:45 - 12:45
Planning for Success
- How to identify stakeholders and involve them in the process
- Define the need for contact
- Practical exercises using stakeholder grids
13:30 - 14:00
Researching the Market
- Effective research for possible suppliers and solutions
- Know the market and what’s possible within budget
- Use case studies to identify best practice
14:00 - 14:30
- Identify and set clear evaluation criteria
- Ensure you have unambiguous objectives
14:30 - 14:45
14:45 - 15:15
- Clarifying the scope of projects to suppliers
- Ensuring the right suppliers are attracted to the process
- Practical exercises in answering supplier questions
15:15 - 16:00
Workshop: How to Deliver Clear, Concise and Comprehensive Specifications
- Bring together the day’s learning using practical exercises and group discussion
- Critique real-life examples to ensure you leave the day confident to write a truly successful specification
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
America Square Conference Centre
1 America Square,
+44 (0)20 7706 7700
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 2 weeks, 1 week and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected]