Managing health and safety, and facilities, often requires the use of contractors. It is essential, however, that the health and safety implications of the use of contract staff are considered and appropriate controls are put in place.
This Selecting and Managing Contractors training course gives you the tools and techniques to effectively manage your contractors and ensure they are fully compliant with health and safety legislation.
By attending this Selecting and Managing Contractors course you will able to navigate the complex legal issues around the selection and management of contractors; identify and overcome the risks to using contractors and learn how to monitor their performance.
|About the Trainer: Peter Phillips
|Peter qualified as an Environmental Health Officer in 1980 and has been in continuous practice in that profession ever since, working both in the public and private sectors. He is a Senior Consultant with LRB Consulting Ltd, where he is valued for his experience, his thoughtful approach to client issues, and his practical solutions to their problems.
During that period, he has been actively involved in the founding and development of the health and safety hygiene and environmental protection courses and is a founder member of the Environmental Health and Safety Training Council. His lecturing experience is diverse, ranging in venue from Cambridge University and Ashridge Management College to the teaching of inmates within prisons.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer’s Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 10:45
Legal Issues Relating to the Selection and Management of Contractors
- Understand the legality of the contracts
- Joint liability
- Review health and safety law
- The audit cycle: Plan-Do-Check-Act
10:45 - 11:00
11:00 - 12:00
The Selection of Contractors
- The contractor’s experience in the type of work to be done
- Review the contractor’s health and safety policies, arrangements and practices
- Assess health and safety performance: number of accidents, recent and pending prosecutions or enforcement notices
- The use of sub-contractors
12:00 - 13:00
Assessing Pre-Contract Issues
- Establish where responsibility lies: who controls the building?
- Who will they report to?
- Determine what level of supervision will be required
- Ascertain when the work will happen
14:00 - 14:45
Control and Responsibilities during the Contract Work
- Supervising and checking on the work being carried out
- Audit: Comparing the work being done against the RAMS
14:45 - 15:00
15:00 - 16:00
Monitoring the Performance of Contractors
- Put in effective checks to monitor the contractors performance
- Learn how to monitor contractor safety
- The difference between reactive and proactive Monitoring
- Feeding back into the audit cycle
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Closing Remarks