Whether you’re faced with a challenging question about your proposal, put on the spot in an important meeting or asked to defend your presentation, succinctly articulating your thoughts can be a challenge.
This Quick Responses to Complex Situations training course has been specifically designed to help you think on the spot and react confidently to tricky work situations.
Attend this course to gain tried and tested techniques to enable you to be more confident at responding to complex questions and situations: learn communication techniques to help deliver a more confident response; identify and overcome the barriers to quick thinking; structure your response in a more succinct way, and learn how to maximise the impact of your responses.
|About the Chair: Sandra Miller
|Sandra Miller is a RADA trained Actor and now works extensively in the corporate sector providing coaching, consultancy and training in communication skills.
Her area of specialist expertise covers Presentation Skills, Interview Techniques, Handling People in Difficult Situations, Storytelling and Influential Communications.
Sandra has worked in the corporate world for thirty years doing role-plays for Assessment and Development Centres. Clients include companies such as BMW, Deloitte Touche, Freshfields, KPMG etc
She trained at Manchester University (BA Honours in Drama) and at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. She has performed extensively in the West End and in repertory and touring theatres throughout the UK. She has made numerous corporate training videos and voice-overs and appeared on television, radio and the internet.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:15
Chair's Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
The Chair will discuss delegate experiences with quick thinking in order to identify personal objectives for the day and tailor the course to specific requirements.
10:15 - 10:45
Workshop: The Rules of Responding to Complex Questions
- Understand when and why quick thinking is essential
- Why does quick thinking feel so challenging?
- Learn about the impact of quick thinking in a business context
- Explore the steps you can take in order to make yourself feel more prepared
- Discuss different approaches and the importance of practicing techniques such as silence, breathing, body language and eye contact
- Participants will choose a situation that they find challenging and get a chance to work on it with a partner – we will come back to this scenario during the day at various points
10:45 - 11:00
11:00 - 12:00
Workshop: Address the Barriers to Thinking Quickly – How to Communicate Better
- Know the importance of how to present yourself
- Identify internal and external factors that can inhibit your performance
- Dealing with our fears around quick thinking
- Ensuring we can have adult-to-adult conversations, despite feeling out of our depth
- Understanding techniques of structuring information based on your audience
- Facts vs pictures
- Figures vs ideas
- Thinking vs talking
- Action vs purpose
- Extrovert vs introvert
- Big picture vs all the details
- Engage in further practice of the scenarios using learned tools
13:00 - 14:00
Workshop: Structuring Your Responses
Look at ways of structuring your response to reduce anxiety regarding quick thinking. Discover a range of techniques and choose the one that suits your personality type.
- Discover a range of quick thinking techniques and choose one that suits your personality type
- Using threes
- Providing examples
- Conclude, explain, conclude again
- Telling stories
- When and how to say ‘no’
14:00 - 14:45
Workshop: Maximising the Impact of Your Responses
- Ensure your responses are engaging, relevant and well-articulated
- Learn tips on how to deal with networking situations
- Turn a tricky question into an opportunity for you
14:45 - 15:00
15.00 - 16:00
Workshop: Putting It All Into Practice
Delegates will apply their learnings from the day to a series of group exercises and receive individual feedback from the Chair on the quality of their responses.
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email email@example.com after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.