Whether you’re faced with a challenging question about your proposal, put on the spot in an important meeting or asked to defend your presentation, quick thinking and articulating your thoughts succinctly can be a challenge. Little time is given to training professionals to handle these challenges, despite it being a valuable skill for anyone working in a high-pressured environment.
Many assume that the ability to think quickly is something that you either have or you don’t, but in fact it is a skill which can be learned, honed and mastered. Attend this one-day, highly interactive Quick Thinking training course to learn a number of tried and tested techniques for how to deal with nerves when thinking on the spot.
Realise the opportunities associated with thinking quickly and keeping your composure under pressure. Learn how to say no and understand the best ways for you to maximise your impact through good, engaging responses in all your encounters at work.
|About the Chair: Jo Clift
|Jo started her career in the arts as a communications professional and subsequently worked at the heart of government for over twenty years, mainly at the Cabinet Office. She was Head of Communications for the BSE Inquiry and then Press Secretary to Lord Falconer. She has worked closely with many ministers over the years, including Lord Peter Mandelson and Sir Oliver Letwin. She also worked at Number 10 in the Prime Minister’s press office.
Jo’s other government roles include creating the coalition’s ICT strategy, developing a new model for corporate shared services across Whitehall, and leading on high level board appointments to public bodies. Jo also gained private sector experience as a senior manager at Deloitte Consulting.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:15
Chair's Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
The Chair will discuss delegate experiences with quick thinking and measure current ability, in order to identify personal objectives for the day and tailor the course to specific requirements.
10:15 - 10:45
The Rules of Quick Thinking
- Understand when and why quick thinking is essential
- Why does quick thinking feel so challenging?
- Learn about the impact of quick thinking in a business context
- Explore the steps you can take in order to make yourself feel more prepared
- Discuss different approaches and the importance of practicing techniques such as silence, breathing, body language and eye contact
Participants will choose a situation that they find challenging and get a chance to work on it with a partner – we will come back to this scenario during the day at various points
10:45 - 11:00
11:00 - 12:00
Workshop: Address the Barriers to Thinking Quickly – How to Communicate Better
- Know the importance of how to present yourself
- Identify internal and external factors that can inhibit your performance
- The Parent/Adult/Child Model
- Dealing with fears associated with quick thinking
- Ensuring adult-to-adult conversations, despite potentially feeling out of your depth
- Understanding techniques of structuring information based on your audience
- Facts vs pictures
- Figures vs ideas
- Thinking vs talking
- Action vs purpose
- Extrovert vs introvert
- Big picture vs all the details
- Engage in further practice of the scenarios using learned tools
13:00 - 14:00
Structuring Your Responses
Look at ways of structuring your responses to reduce anxiety regarding quick thinking. Discover a range of techniques and choose the one that suits your personality type
- Discover a range of quick thinking techniques and choose one that suits your personality type
- Using threes
- Providing examples
- Conclude, explain, conclude again
- Telling stories
- When and how to say “no”
14:00 - 14:45
Finding Your Personal Style & Maximising the Impact of Your Responses
- Ensure your responses are engaging, relevant and well-articulated
- Learn tips on how to deal with networking situations
- Turn a tricky question into an opportunity for you
14:45 - 15:00
15.00 - 16:00
Putting It All Into Practice
Delegates will apply what they have learnt throughout the day to a series of group exercises and receive individual feedback from the Chair on the quality of their responses
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
America Square Conference Centre
1 America Square,
+44 (0)20 7706 7700
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 2 weeks, 1 week and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.