In March 2019, the Scottish Government published new guidance on the extra tools they will be providing to schools and councils to improve outcomes for children with additional support needs. Along with advice on mainstreaming and practical guidance for schools and local authorities, a new Scottish definition for inclusion has been published to reinforce the commitment to “Getting it Right for Every Child”. Following these recent updates, this Providing Additional Support for Learning in Scotland course is ideally timed to drive forward improvements in your area.
While children with additional support needs and their parents do currently feel positively about the support they receive, with over 28% of young people now being identified with ASL needs*, and the number of trained teachers decreasing**, it is critical that education professionals ensure they are able to provide excellent support for every child.
The Programme for Government 2018/19 commits the Scottish Government to take action to secure more positive experiences in schools across the country. This highly interactive, one-day Providing Additional Support for Learning in Scotland course provides you with the opportunity to ensure that your school and schools within your local authority are fully equipped with the right programme to tackle the learning needs of all children.
Attend to develop a multi-agency approach which incorporates your school, local authority and resources available from a number of charities. Hear from best practice case studies on their strategies and build on your current provision to deliver effectual additional support.
*Statistics from “Summary Statistics for Schools 2018 Edition”
**The number of teachers trained to support ASN pupils has fallen from 3,248 in 2012 to just 2,733 in 2019, according to official figures published by the Herald.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Chair’s Welcome & Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 10:45
Additional Support for Learning Law and Policy
- Revised Scottish Government guidance on the presumption of mainstreaming
- “Not included, not engaged, not involved” – one year on has anything changed?
- Case law update: additional support needs and disability
10:45 - 11:30
Case Study: Supporting Teachers to Identify Additional Support Needs Early
- Introduce clear communication streams between specialist staff and classroom teachers
- Ensure teachers are informed of social, emotional and mental-health (SEMH) and additional learning support (ALS) needs to increase likelihood of early intervention
- Increase awareness of ‘hidden’ ASN and how best to identify these
- Involve teachers in the creation of co-ordinated support plans
- Understanding and incorporating practical intervention methods in the classroom
11:30 - 11:45
11:45 - 12:30
Case Study: Enabling All Young People to Benefit from Education
- Involving and empowering children in making decisions about their education
- Planning and personalising support for children in the classroom
- Understand the benefits and implications of mainstreaming
- How to ensure inclusion of able pupils and opening up the conversation
Wallace High School won the Health and Wellbeing Award at the Scottish Education Awards 2018
12:30 - 13:00
Engaging with Parents Effectively to Deliver Improved Outcomes
- Learn how to gain buy-in from parents to insure full involvement
- Develop multiple pathways to create a well-rounded approach to provision
- Know the importance of effective communication between parents, schools and external agencies
14:00 - 14:45
Developing a Multi-Agency Approach to Champion Inclusive Outcomes
- Hear from ENABLE Scotland discussing the integral work done with Scottish Government to create legislation which champions an inclusive society
- Promoting inclusion and integration of students with ASN into a mainstream environment
- Opening up the dialogue and breaking down barriers to focus on ending discrimination in the mainstream
- Offering universal and targeted support and delivering individualised learning
14:45 - 15:00
15:00 - 16:00
Workshop: Improving Learning Outcomes for All Students with ASN
- Develop a holistic strategy which involves children, parents and external agencies to overcome barriers
- Evaluate your current processes and use planning techniques to improve outcomes
- Take away tools and techniques to raise attainment
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
Radisson Blu Hotel – Edinburgh
80 High St
The Royal Mile
0131 557 9797
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected]