A vital skill for professionals looking to accelerate their career in the public sector is the ability to progress from being a manager to an influential leader.
Executive presence is the term used to describe those dynamic and confident leaders who not only perform well within their jobs, but also have the ability to make a real impact among decision-makers. The skills of an excellent leader; including how to act, speak and present effectively, can all be learned, developed and realised through good practice and self-evaluation.
Attend this highly interactive one-day training course with Communication Skills Consultant Sandie Miller to learn the traits of an influential leader, understand how to command a room and how to use body language to exert your personal influence.
Develop your communication skills, enhance your confidence and boost your ability to lead your team with an elevated sense of credibility. Leave with a heightened capacity to influence other senior leaders when it really counts.
|About the Chair: Sandra Miller
|Sandra has worked extensively as a Communication Skills Consultant, Trainer, Coach and Role-Player for the past fifteen years. She trains professionals to help them enhance their vocal skills, in order to help them build their confidence.
Clients include many organisations including the BBC, BBC World Service, BBC Worldwide, Birds Eye/Walls, BMW, British Aerospace, British Airways, BT, Gillette, Great Place to Work Ltd, Hewitt Associates, KPMG, JP Morgan, Linklaters, Logica, Lonely Planet, Lovells, Lloyds TSB, RADA Enterprises Ltd, Royal Mail, Simon & Schuster UK Ltd, SOCAP and Unilever. Find out more.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer’s Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 10:30
Traits of an Influential Leader
- Explore and identify the different leadership styles and traits of a good leader
- Learn how to actively listen and engage with your team and other senior leaders
- Analyse the importance of first impressions and how to polish these
- Identify the leadership style which suits you and your organisation’s culture
10:30 - 11:00
Personality and Emotional Intelligence
- Understanding the effect of yours and others’ emotions across different, varied interactions
- Knowing yourself and identifying your own personality traits
- Perceiving others and how to deal with different personalities
- Developing empathy and techniques to communicate effectively
11:00 - 11:15
11:15 - 13:00
Using Communication to Build Trust, Credibility, Confidence and Influence
- Understand ways to develop trust through powerful communication
- Develop speaking skills and assertiveness in your presence
- Learn how to build credibility to improve personal presence
- The importance of preparation, especially for high stakes meetings and interactions
- Focus on clarity, confidence and authority to exert power and influence
- How to engage with and influence a group of other senior leaders who may have competing interests
14:00 - 16:00
Workshop: Establishing and Executing Your Executive Presence
Work with the Trainer in a number of interactive role play activities to put the skills you’ve learned from the day into practice
- Learn and practise how to command a room
- Know how to conduct yourself with assurance and gravitas
- Focus on how you act, how you speak and how you communicate through your body language
- Reflect on your habits to develop a confident leadership style, and putting this into practice
- The importance of continuous feedback, self-reflection and self-evaluation
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close