Producing a good business case can help you influence decision makers, drive organisational performance and gain funds for projects. However, writing convincing business cases can be a complex and time-consuming task for any busy professional.
This highly practical and interactive Producing a Good Business Case course, led by communications expert Sue Calthorpe, examines the various stages of writing a business case and the requirements of each of the sections, from executive summary to options appraisal.
Learn how to translate policy and project documents for technical and non-technical readers; how to summarise pages of prose into persuasive points and how anecdotes, fact and opinion can work together to provide compelling cases.
What previous delegates said about Producing a Good Business Case:
“This was a very informative well run and fun way of learning about Business Case development.” – Head of MH Commissioning, Croydon CCG
“Susan was excellent. Her knowledge and skills were clear to see throughout the course.” – Project Manager, Guildford Borough Council
“Outstanding, can be implemented immediately to improve outcomes from Business Cases.” – Associate Director, University of Southampton
|About the Chair: Sue Calthorpe
|Susan is an experienced communications professional who trains a number of high-profile organisations to enhance their communication, through writing in a more business critical way to writing more effective reports. Susan works with a wide number of public and private sector organisations to help improve writing skills and wider communications, with a range of training including production of communications strategies, face-to-face briefing, communicating complex information, presentation, media handling and key messaging and a variety of advanced writing and verbal presentation techniques.
Her recent clients include Aston Martin, Fujifilm, BP, LA Fitness, G4S, Hanover, Norfolk County Council, British Airways, Marks and Spencer, Devon County Council, Citizen’s Advice Bureau, The General Dental Council, the Wine Institute of California, Shelter and The Law Society.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer's Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 10:45
Planning a Business Case
In this interactive session delegates will learn how business cases are read.
- Sorting your material: looking at information, analysis and recommendations
- Defining what data to use in a business case
- Importance of lateral thinking
- How do people make decisions?
- Writing great objectives
10:45 - 11:00
11:00 - 12:00
Making the Case for Change
- Learn how to establish your case for change and suggest the best way forward
- Understand the various audiences who read business cases
- Identify what they want and need from the information
- Delegates will look at best-practice real-life business cases
- Develop effective persuasive writing techniques
- Learn how to express SMART objectives within your business cases
12:00 - 13:00
Highlighting Benefits and Risk
- Delegates will examine a range of real-life materials to establish good and best practice when discussing benefits and risk
14:00 - 14:30
Explaining your Options Appraisal
In this session delegates will learn the benefits of a good options appraisal.
- Explore the evidence and language that can be used to create the essential middle section of an efficient business case
- A practical session where participants will write their own options appraisal using a course case study
14:30 - 15:00
Language, Style and Tone
- Participants will explore use of language, style and tone through real life business cases to discuss the finer points of syntax, punctuation, grammar and choice of vocabulary
- This session focuses on how writing should be understood
15:00 - 15:30
Writing Effective Summaries
- A good summary affects how the reader perceives your work from the outset
- Avoid your business cases being read like an introduction or abstract
- Learn quick techniques to draw out the essential information to draw your reader into your document.
- Delegates will work through a practical exercise which will help them create a summary using the course case study
15:30 - 16:00
Tables, Graphs and Other Visual Aids
- You will look at how you can effectively use visual aids to help the reader better understand what you are saying
- This session will let you explore a wide range of tools to help you present information such as: Q&A briefings; informatics; tables; graphs; flow charts, and word cloud
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 2 weeks, 1 week and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected]