Maths is a valuable skill that can be used in most areas, however maths can sometimes seem daunting and remembering maths principals and formulas can be difficult if you hadn’t used them in a while.
Most public sector professionals will have to use maths, in some form on a daily basis, whether it’s working out percentages, analysing numerical data, using graphs or producing financial reports.
This Maths in the Workplace course has been specifically designed to help individuals who want to brush up on their maths skills or gain a refresher, in a supportive and encouraging environment.
Through a mixture of excel based tasks, interactive exercises and support from the trainer; gain the confidence and knowledge to improve your maths skills to use in the workplace.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer’s Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 11:00
First Steps: Basic Maths Principles
- Brush up on key mathematics principles: multiplication, division, decimals and fractions
- Algebra: why do we need it?
- Basic principles of algebra
- Key maths terminology: common business and financial acronyms
- Take a quick maths quiz
11:00 - 11:15
11:15 - 11:45
Working Out Percentages
Through public sector workplace examples, delegates will work through percentage calculations
- Gain the confidence to work out percentages
- Understand excel formulas that can help you work out percentages
- Use real-life public sector data to work out percentages
- Measure proportions and rates of change
11:45 - 12:30
Utilising Graphs and Charts
Through excel and laptops, delegates will work with the trainer to produce graphs through raw data.
- Learn about the different types of graphs:
- Pie charts
- Line graphs
- Bar graph
- Scatter plot
- Stem and plot
- Practise producing graphs, by using raw data that will be given to you by the trainer
- Gain techniques and tools to produce reports
12:30 - 13:00
- What is probability?
- Learn the key principles of probability
- Gain the confidence to predict a change of something happening
- Understand the different of ways of achieving success
14:00 - 14:45
Financial Reports and Formulas
- Interpreting financial reports
- Performance measurement in the public sector
- Budget reporting
14:45 - 15:00
15:00 - 16:00
Problem Solving Exercises
- In groups, you will carry out problem solving tasks that our relevant to the public sector
- Gain the skills and confidence to solve complex problems
- Take a problem solving test
- Pose your maths questions to the trainer
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close