Being promoted to a management position can be an exciting step in furthering your career.
Nevertheless, undertaking the new challenges that arise from managing people and ever changing landscapes can also feel like a daunting task. As well as managing your own workload, as a new manager, you will now be responsible for managing the performance of others and ensuring the team’s targets are met. What is more, recent times have shown managers the need to be compassionate, emotionally intelligent and responsive to hitherto unprecedented situations.
This virtual Leadership Skills for Emerging Managers course gives you the core practical skills to manage and lead your teams to success. Specially designed for those with little experience of managing people, it tackles the key elements of line management; from goal setting to delegation.
Attend this course to hear about different styles of leadership and discover, through practical workshops, which style works best for you and your team. Understand how to build a highly motivated team and take away the skills to deal with some of the more difficult aspects of people management, including handling challenging conversations, giving negative feedback and managing poor performance in a virtual environment.
Please note this course will be using Zoom to deliver the training.
“Really great course with lots of useful information all delivered fantastically in a way that was clear and easy to understand.” – Research Support Officer, Office for National Statistics
“This is an excellent course that I would highly recommend.” – Disclosure Specialist, Ministry of Justice
|About the Chair: Marie Thake
|Marie Thake worked for 14 years in people development roles for companies such as Prudential, HBOS, and The Rugby Football Union and then established her own business and became a People Consultant 9 years ago.
Her career included Leading teams to deliver organisational vision and strategy and delivering People development strategies to ensure organisations workforces were developed and invested in. Marie feels passionately about people being the vital resource that can shape and grow a business to success. We are all wonderfully unique and it is about harnessing those strengths in us to achieve our goals and aims.
Marie’s academic background was studying Business, Finance and Law and then progressing to another of her passion’s – understanding human behaviour and our ability to learn using a growth mind-set. She went on to study Well-being, Human behaviour, Employee engagement, emotional intelligence, NLP and the ability to build resilience and how we can adapt to change.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer’s Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 11:00
Understanding Different Management and Leadership Styles
- Explore a number of management styles and how to lead different groups of people successfully
- Know how to cement your role as a manager and be perceived positively
- Realise the challenges and opportunities of emerging managers
- Identify your position as a new manager – your strengths, limitations and what leadership style suits you and your team best
- Know how to adapt your style depending on who you are communicating with
11:00 - 11:15
11:15 - 12:15
The Importance of Team Building
- Look at different types of teams and evaluate your current team structures
- Learn the theory behind high performing teams and how to utilise this to your benefit
- Understand how to transition from your role as team member to team leader and the possible challenges that may arise
- Explore how to build effective and motivated teams through communication with different people on an individual level, including how to focus on personal wellbeing
12:15 - 13:00
Setting Realistic Goals, Managing Results and Achieving Effective Delegation
- Learn how to plan effectively to ensure the priorities of your organisation are met
- How to monitor staff performance and maintain motivation
- Setting expectations which are tangible, accountable and manageable
- Explore coaching techniques and develop the skills to get the most out of people
14:00 - 14:45
Managing Difficult Conversations and Giving Feedback
- Developing an effective and assertive leadership style to cope with challenging situations
- Practise managing difficult conversations and actioning tough decisions
- Finding the balance between maintaining control and instilling a culture of trust and inclusivity
- Learn how to have developmental conversations and give feedback which empowers your team
- Take away tips for managing poor performance in a constructive way
14:45 - 15:00
15:00 - 16:00
Workshop: Leadership in Action
Work with the Trainer on a number of interactive workshop activities to put the skills you’ve learned from the day into practice.
- Conduct self-analysis based on what you have been discussing throughout the day
- Build your personal leadership development plan for implementation back at work to become a confident manager
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to email@example.com or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email@example.com if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.