The ability for an organisation to plan strategically for the future can be a challenging task to undertake, especially when it comes to the public sector.
To plan effectively for the future, you have to consider a number of factors, many of which are likely to affect the day-to-day operation of your organisation.
Attend this course to learn how to appreciate the bigger picture and implement horizon scanning techniques to pre-empt and plan for big events before they happen. Develop the skills to forecast and analyse trends which might have an impact on your organisation – including cultural, political and economic developments.
Know the importance of effective communication and take away the ability to implement a communications strategy to ensure your organisation is taking the correct steps forward.
Working with communication specialist, Sheree Dodd, gain a number of horizon scanning and forecasting tools and identify the best methodology for you to implement back at your organisation to allow you to plan for every eventuality.
|About the Trainer: Sheree Dodd
|Sheree Dodd is a communication consultant with the expertise and experience to lead organisations working in the political arena that wish to deliver communications with impact. She has led communications teams up to 70-strong.
A former Director of Communications at the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), Deputy Director at DWP and Head of News at the Northern Ireland Office (NIO), she offers a powerful combination of experience in leading complex communications activity as well as national media practice from many years as a senior political journalist.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer's Introduction and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 10:45
Strategic Planning and Horizon Scanning
- Appreciate the bigger picture – why do we need to plan ahead?
- Get to grips with different definitions and theories
- Learn about different scenarios when horizon scanning is used
10:45 - 11:30
Horizon Scanning in Specific Contexts
- Understand different approaches and methodologies
- Consider when different approaches are most useful
- Look at your own organisation and what to consider throughout planning
- Apply the benefits of each approach to your organisation
11:30 - 11:45
11:45 - 12:45
The Importance of Analysing Trends
- Discover how analysing trends could benefit your organisation
- Analyse specific cultural, political and economic trends
- Forecast which trends will most impact your work and your team
13:30 - 14:30
Threats vs. Opportunities
- Discuss the importance of outlining potential threats and future opportunities
- Consider the threats facing different organisations and industries
- Engage in discussion around your organisation’s challenges
- Draw conclusions on the best ways of mitigating your challenges and how best to uncover opportunities
14:30 - 15:00
Recognising the Importance of Building in Communications
- Discuss the role of communications in strategic planning
- Understand when to seek advice on communications
- When are communications most effectively deployed
15:00 - 15:15
15:15 - 16:00
Workshop: Applying the Right Approach to Your Organisation
- Recap the methodologies and tools covered throughout the day
- Formulate an action plan to implement horizon scanning in your organisation
- Receive dedicated advice from the Chair on your action plan
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
etc. Venues – Marble Arch, London
86 Edgware Road
020 7793 4200
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 2 weeks, 1 week and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected]