Effective strategic planning helps your organisation analyse future opportunities, allocate resources better, and gives you a higher chance of creating long term value for both you and your organisation.
Attend this Effective Strategic Planning course to learn how to further appreciate the bigger picture and implement horizon scanning techniques to pre-empt and plan for big events before they happen.
Develop the skills to forecast and analyse trends which are most likely to have an impact on your organisation – including cultural, political and economic developments.
Working with strategist and former senior civil servant, Sheree Dodd, gain a number of horizon scanning and forecasting tools and identify the best methodology for you to implement back at your organisation to allow you to plan for every eventuality.
|About the Trainer: Sheree Dodd
|Sheree Dodd is a former senior civil servant and strategist, who was responsible for strategic communications planning at the former Department for Trade and Industry and has led on strategic planning for the International Diabetes Federation.
A former Director of Communications at the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), Deputy Director at DWP and Head of News at the Northern Ireland Office (NIO), she offers a powerful combination of experience in leading complex communications activity as well as national media practice from many years as a senior political journalist.
Sheree has extensive experience of handling high profile media campaigns. Former clients with complex communication needs include the House of Commons Commission, which she advised throughout the MPs’ expenses scandal, the Sentencing Guidelines Council and the International Diabetes Federation where as an Interim Director of Policy and Programmes she led on advocacy, messaging and projects during a year of high-profile activity at the United Nations. She currently provides communications support and advice to the Groceries Code Adjudicator and the Pubs Code Adjudicator. Other roles include editing complex reports and documents.
Her practical experience and personal communication skills also ensure she is in demand as a trainer and coach in policy-making, strategic planning, communications (including media handling and interview techniques), campaigning and writing skills (including speech-writing). She has also coached individuals in the private and public sectors in preparation for appearances before Commons Select Committees.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer's Introduction and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 10:45
Strategic Planning and Horizon Scanning
- Appreciate the bigger picture – why do we need to plan ahead?
- Get to grips with different definitions and theories
- Learn about different scenarios when horizon scanning is used
10:45 - 11:30
Strategic Planning in Specific Contexts
- Understand different approaches and methodologies
- Consider when different approaches are most useful
- Look at your own organisation and what to consider throughout planning
- Apply the benefits of each approach to your organisation
11:30 - 11:45
11:45 - 12:45
The Importance of Analysing Trends
- Discover how analysing trends could benefit your organisation
- Analyse specific cultural, political and economic trends
- Forecast which trends will most impact your work and your team
13:30 - 14:30
Threats vs. Opportunities
- Discuss the importance of outlining potential threats and future opportunities
- Consider the threats facing different organisations and industries
- Engage in discussion around your organisation’s challenges
- Draw conclusions on the best ways of mitigating your challenges and how best to uncover opportunities
14:30 - 15:00
Recognising the Importance of Building in Communications
- Discuss the role of communications in strategic planning
- Understand when to seek advice on communications
- When are communications most effectively deployed
15:00 - 15:15
15:15 - 16:00
Workshop: Applying the Right Approach to Your Organisation
- Recap the methodologies and tools covered throughout the day
- Formulate an action plan to implement horizon scanning in your organisation
- Receive dedicated advice from the Chair on your action plan
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
etc. Venues – Marble Arch, London
86 Edgware Road
020 7793 4200
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected]