Horizon scanning is a key requisite for one of the civil service’s core competencies for leaders who work in central government; seeing the bigger picture. Given this is a core competency and the recent general election result, it is now more essential than other that all public sector leaders have the necessary skills in place to anticipate, prepare and plan for the future.
Attend this Implementing Horizon Scanning Techniques course to learn how to further appreciate the bigger picture and implement horizon scanning techniques to pre-empt and plan for big events before they happen.
Develop the skills to forecast and analyse trends which are most likely to have an impact on your organisation – including cultural, political and economic developments.
Working with strategist and former senior civil servant, Sheree Dodd, gain a number of horizon scanning and forecasting tools for you to implement back at your organisation to allow you to plan for every eventuality.
|About the Chair: Sheree Dodd
|Sheree Dodd is a former senior civil servant and strategist, who was responsible for strategic communications planning at the former Department for Trade and Industry and has led on strategic planning for the International Diabetes Federation.
A former Director of Communications at the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), Deputy Director at DWP and Head of News at the Northern Ireland Office (NIO), she offers a powerful combination of experience in leading complex communications activity as well as national media practice from many years as a senior political journalist. For more information about Sheree, click here.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer's Introduction and Clarification of Learning Objectives
- What do you want to achieve today?
10:00 - 10:45
Strategic Planning and Horizon Scanning
- Appreciate the bigger picture – why do we need to plan ahead?
- Get to grips with different definitions and theories
- Learn about different scenarios when horizon scanning is used
10:45 - 11:30
Strategic Planning in Specific Contexts
- Understand different approaches and methodologies
- Consider when different approaches are most useful
- Look at your own organisation and what to consider throughout planning
- Apply the benefits of each approach to your organisation
11:30 - 11:45
- External environment v. internal capability?
- What external factors could help or hinder?
- What possible scenarios do you need to be prepared for?
11:45 - 12:45
The Importance of Analysing Trends
- Discover how analysing trends could benefit your organisation
- Analyse specific cultural, political and economic trends
- Forecast which trends will most impact your work and your team
12:45 - 13:30
- What is your vision of success?
- Who are the stakeholders?
- How strong do those relationships need to be and how can you strengthen them?
- Who do you need to influence?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses?
13:30 - 14:30
Threats vs. Opportunities
- Discuss the importance of outlining potential threats and future opportunities
- Consider the threats facing different organisations and industries
- Engage in discussion around your organisation’s challenges
- Draw conclusions on the best ways of mitigating your challenges and how best to uncover opportunities
14:30 - 15:00
Recognising the Importance of Building in Communications
- Discuss the role of communications in strategic planning
- Understand when to seek advice on communications
- When are communications most effectively deployed
15:00 - 15:15
15:00 - 16:00
Workshop: Applying the Right Approach to Your Organisation
- Recap the methodologies and tools covered throughout the day
- Formulate an action plan to implement horizon scanning in your organisation
- Receive dedicated advice from the Chair on your action plan
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email email@example.com after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email email@example.com with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or firstname.lastname@example.org if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email email@example.com.
A: Company Name: Govnet Communications
Company Address: 3rd Floor, St James Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M1 6PP