Giving and receiving feedback can often be a challenging responsibility to carry out, but it is also vital to developing your team and getting the best out of them. Whether someone perhaps isn’t achieving their full potential and needs motivation, has made an error or if they need to be praised for good work and a positive contribution, feedback should be specific, constructive and fair.
Attend this highly interactive one-day training course, led by Marie Thake, to uncover best ways to deal with challenging conversations, how to manage emotions and respond to criticism. Learn methods to embed a culture of regular, constructive feedback to ensure your team is working well, performing at peak efficiency and remaining happy and motivated.
|About the Chair: Marie Thake
Marie Thake has over 18 years’ experience in Learning and Development and a proven track record of establishing learning and development functions in organisations. This involves installing all that is necessary to provide every employee, at all levels, an opportunity to develop themselves. This includes establishing leadership programmes, installing learning centres, creating soft skill programmes in line with training needs analysis and designing and delivering training courses.
The solutions are always established with the priority aim of ensuring the focus stays firmly on building a learning culture to ensure that all the new solutions introduced are embraced successfully. Introducing successful people development solutions and ensuring the learning encourages permanent change is a philosophy Marie feels strongly about and will offer solutions to this by providing coaching calls following the learning programmes to embed the new skills and pre and post work to encourage permanent change. Read more.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer’s Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 11:00
Understanding Constructive Feedback
- Learn what makes feedback constructive
- Why being constructive is not just important, but paramount to making a lasting impact
- Understanding the importance of objectivity and how to ensure all feedback is fair
11:00 - 11:15
11:15 - 12:00
Structuring Feedback to Ensure it is Beneficial
- Understanding how to ensure feedback is well-structured and reasonable
- Learn the 4-stage feedback technique and how to implement this within your teams
- Explore the ways you and your team can benefit from feedback, both formal and informal
- Discuss your experience as a manager of giving feedback: what you did well and what could be done differently
12:00 - 13:00
Dealing with Anger, Conflict and Emotion
- Learn key techniques for how to deal with difficult conversations
- How to word feedback when it is more challenging and may be difficult to hear
- Explore how to deal with unexpected or negative reactions, including the importance of using empathy
- Responding to criticism and being able to back up your reasoning
13:45 - 14:45
Monitoring Team and Performance
- Gain key tools and techniques for how to monitor your team’s performance
- Discuss methods of motivation, especially after having to give disappointing feedback
- Embedding a culture of regular feedback to ensure an open dialogue which allows you to get the most out of your team year round
14:45 - 15:00
15:00 - 16:00
Workshop: Practise Giving Constructive Feedback
Using real life scenarios and role play exercises, work in groups to practise giving your colleague some difficult feedback. Work with the trainer to understand what works best, gain valuable feedback and grow in confidence on a range of techniques.
- Embed the day’s learning and leave with a personal action plan to implement with your team upon return to work
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
America Square Conference Centre
1 America Square,
+44 (0)20 7706 7700