Impact assessments play an integral part of the policy-making process. Improving the way they are implemented will ensure better regulation, based on robust, evidence-based policy making.
Centred on interactive learning, this one day workshop imparts the skills to ensure your impact assessments are carried out in line with best practice and get the green light.
On this practical Excelling at Impact Assessments course, you will gain insights and acquire practical tools to immediately support your work. Return to your organisation with the confidence to deliver better policy based on sound evidence and analysis.
|About the Chair: Rob Clark
|Rob’s main specialisation is in Change Management, Project Management Consultancy, M&E, Programme Support Services and Training. This experience has been gained through involvement with contractor and client organisations at all levels. He was formerly Head of Project Services for Atkins, one of Europe’s largest engineering and management consultancies.
Over a number of years Rob has been engaged in many large multi-disciplinary change programmes within Government and the private sector and also has extensive experience in overseas assignments.
09.15 - 09.45
09.45 - 10.00
Trainer's Welcome and Introduction
10.00 - 11.00
What Are Impact Assessments? Why Do We Use Them?
- Understand the policy context of impact assessments
- Different meanings of impact
- The role of monitoring and evaluation in impact assessments
- What impacts are assessed?
- Sources of data
11.00 - 11.15
11.15 - 11.45
Policy Options and Developing a Theory of Change
- Clarifying policy objectives and outcomes
- Developing a theory of change
- Stakeholder involvement
- Consider the ‘do minimum’/’do nothing’ option
- Group Exercise
11.45 - 12.45
Assessing the Effectiveness of Interventions
- The importance of the counterfactual
- Experimental techniques
- Quasi-experimental techniques
13.30 - 15.00
Assessing Economic, Social and Environmental Impacts
- What economic, social and environmental impacts are assessed, and how?
- Group exercise
15.00 - 15.15
15.15 - 16.00
Assessing Costs and Benefits
- Principles of economic appraisal
- Monetising costs and benefits
- Adjustments to base cots and benefit
- Establishing the Net Present Value
16.00 - 16.15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
etc. Venues – Marble Arch, London
86 Edgware Road
020 7793 4200