The Caldicott Guardian is an essential role in any health and social care organisation. It is a mandatory requirement for all NHS organisations and local authorities providing social services to have a Caldicott Guardian.
Caldicott Guardian’s are at the forefront of safeguarding the data of people who use health and social care services. Given the current situation and greater dependency on health data, never before has this role been more important.
This virtual Excelling in the Role of a Caldicott Guardian has been specifically designed to give you the necessary support and guidance, which this essential role requires.
This course uses practical exercises and advice to help you excel at your role as a Caldicott Guardian.
Attend this course to gain a much better overview of the Caldicott Guardian role; understand and comply with key data protection legislation; adopt and apply the updated Caldicott principles; learn when to share and not to share personal data; work through practical ethical scenarios; apply data management essentials in your role, and take back a Caldicott Guardian toolkit to your organisation.
Unlocking the Power of Virtual
Our virtual courses have been designed with you in mind. From group exercises in breakout rooms to live chat, whiteboards and interactive polls, we use a range of tools and techniques to ensure that you can connect with your trainer; network and share best practice with your peers and leave the day with the skills you need.
Our courses provide you with an interactive and engaging learning environment that can be accessed from any location, helping you to continue to connect, learn and grow. Click here to discover more!
Please note we will be using Zoom to deliver this training course.
|About the Chair: Lynn Wyeth
|Lynn is the Information Governance Manager at Leicester City Council. Having previously worked as an MP and MEP’s political assistant, Lynn moved to her local council where she now oversees the Council’s Information Governance agenda including data protection, FOI, information sharing, RIPA and CCTV.
She has also helped health organisations with their information governance procedures. Lynn is the author of two books, A Practical Guide to Handling Freedom of Information Requests and Data Protection: Compliance in Practice. Find out more here.
09:25 - 09:30
09:30 - 10:00
Ice Breaker and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 10:45
Overview of the Caldicott Guardian Role
- Adhere to the Caldicott Guardian’s eight key principles
- Gain a quick overview of the latest data protection regulation: DPA Act 2018, and GDPR
- Understand key roles and responsibilities
- Learn how you fit into your organisation’s information governance framework
- Benchmark your practices against other health and social care organisations
10:45 - 11:00
11:00 - 12:00
To Share or Not to Share: The Essentials of Sharing Personal Data
- Establish when data sharing is necessary
- Understand and apply the lawful basis for information sharing
- Develop effective working partnership with other organisations to securely share data
- Create more efficient process to seamlessly share data
- Identify and overcome cultural barriers to sharing information
- Review relevant Information Sharing Agreements
12:00 - 13:00
Workshop: Understanding Ethical Considerations
- Apply an ethical approach to handling patient data
- Work through a range of practical and complex ethical scenarios
- Ensure information is used ethically
- Take into account issues of consent
13:45 - 14:00
- Trainer will review the day’s learning and the next stages of the course
- Delegates will have time to ask questions and share views with one another
14:00 - 14:45
Health and Social Care Data Management Essentials
Gain a better understanding on the following data management essentials:
- Subject Access Requests for medical records
- Data Breaches
- Data Protection Impact Assessments
14:45 - 15:00
15:00 - 16:00
Workshop: Designing a Caldicott Guardian Toolkit
- Ensure full compliance with information governance regulation
- Develop strategies to enhance your organisation’s approach to information governance
- Use registers to log information
- Disclosures: when are they necessary
- Learn how to reduce privacy risks and harm to individuals
- Take back a Caldicott Guardian toolkit to your organisation
16:00 - 16:15
Roundup and Key Takeaways
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email email@example.com after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email@example.com if it has been more than a week.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.