The Government’s Environment Bill has placed the environment even further up the political agenda and will affect all sectors and organisations. Given this incoming legislation and climate change never being far from the news, now is the best time to ensure your organisation is more environmentally aware.
This Environmental Awareness training course has been specifically designed for the public sector to help you comply with the latest legislation; engender an appreciation of the environment throughout your organisation; gain best practice from public sector examples who have implemented “Green” policies and take back an environmental awareness toolkit.
Attend this informative and highly-interactive Environmental Awareness course to gain the necessary tools and knowledge to prepare your organisation for the incoming Bill and ensure full compliance with environmental legislation.
|About the Chair: Peter Phillips MCIEH CMIOSH
|Peter qualified as an Environmental Health Officer in 1980 and has been in continuous practice in that profession ever since, working both in the public and private sectors. He is a Senior Consultant with LRB Consulting Ltd, where he is valued for his experience, his thoughtful approach to client issues, and his practical solutions to their problems.
Peter has numerous published articles and papers and his work on ecological approaches to pest control, management of toxic blue green algae and energy efficient heating and ventilation systems became recommended reading in their appropriate academic and professional fields. He was one of the original joint authors of the Gee Publications, Health and Safety Competent Persons Handbook. He has also been extensively involved in promoting environmental health issues through the media, including regular involvement with newspapers, television and radio. He is perhaps most well-known for his work on the high profile ‘From Hell’ series on Granada TV but has been far more involved in less sensational and more educative media work. He also carried out investigations on behalf of ‘Which?’ magazine.
Despite the academic appearance of the above facts, Peter is a very practical person, having served for several years as a retained fireman and maintaining practical field experience in every aspect of Environmental Health. He is an active supporter of a number of charities and has carried out fieldwork for the charity Water for Kids in the Amazonian region of Peru.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer’s Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 10:45
Understanding the Environment Bill
- Understand the key tenants of the draft bill
- Learn how it differs from the Environment Protection Act 1990?
- Ascertain how the bill will impact your organisation
- Understand the role of The Office for Environmental Protection
- Position yourself for success once the bill becomes law
10:45 - 11:00
11:00 - 12:00
Public Sector and Environmental Awareness
- Engender an appreciation of the environment within your organisation
- Examine “Green” plans from public sector examples
- Help create a more sustainable organisation
- Gain best practice from public sector authorities who have become carbon neutral
- Benchmark your environmental procedures against other organisations
12:00 - 13:00
Effective Environmental Compliance
Ensure your organisation is compliant in the following areas:
- Waste management
14:00 - 16:00
Workshop: Creating an Environmental Awareness Toolkit (Flexible Afternoon Break)
- Develop processes and strategies to ensure your organisation is compliant with legislation
- Create, maintain and implement a positive and efficient approach to the environment across your organisation
- Improve your current environmental processes
- Develop Environmental Management Systems (EMS)
- Take back a fit-for-purpose environmental awareness toolkit
A: Yes. Simply email email@example.com after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here