Figures from NHS Digital show that there were 198,739 written complaints from 2015 – 2016. This is the equivalent to 3,822 written complaints a week or 544 complaints per day.
Successive reviews have highlighted that complaint handlers can lack the necessary skills to deal with the range of issues which arise most frequently. The Care Quality Commission has also placed significant emphasis on evidencing comprehensive complaints handling procedures. In order to competently deal with complaints, NHS staff must be able to write an effective letter response.
This Effective Responses to Complaints in Healthcare course, led by communications specialist Sue Calthorpe, will focus on discussing and delivering effective complaints letter writing skills, through a combination of expert tutor input, group discussion and practical, supported exercises.
Delegates will leave the day with the techniques and the confidence to respond effectively and efficiently to complaints through letters. Participants will also receive a course handbook for use as a reference tool in the workplace.
Trainer’s Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
Patient Complaints: What is Working – and What Needs to Improve
- Respond to reviews that highlight the need for better complaint handling
- Overview of trends and insight into the most common complaints
- Lack of information, dignity and care, comments on staff attitudes and lack of resources
- Understand the effect complaints have on both NHS staff and patients and their families
Best and Bad Practice
- Assess a range of real-life correspondence
- Identify best practice use of style, tone, vocabulary, presentation of facts and evidence and expert comment
Assessing and Planning Your Reply
- Understand how patients want their complaint handled and what they expect from the reply
- Develop planning tools to create a suitable reply
- Identify ‘trigger’ point from correspondence to provide better responses
Asking for Answers
One of the most challenging aspects of handling correspondence is getting a timely response from colleagues who hold vital information.
- Ensure that your response is delivered efficiently
- Develop practical written techniques to elicit information from colleagues
Creating Credible Correspondence
In this practical session, delegates will create and give feedback on a range of letters to review and refresh personal skills.
- Utilise skills developed throughout the day to create letters
- Develop your own best practice
- Identify areas for improvement
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
etc. Venues – Marble Arch, LondonGarfield House
86 Edgware Road
020 7793 4200
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 2 weeks, 1 week and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected]