This Excelling at Records and Information Management course has been designed to provide you with the latest information to improve the management of your organisation’s records.
With a tougher data protection framework now in force, it is essential that you have the most effective records and information management procedures in place.
As a delegate you will be able to benchmark your records management procedures against current data protection legislation, instil a more effective records management culture within your organisation or team, learn how to digitalise records, and design a thorough retention toolkit.
Attend this essential Excelling at Records and Information Management training course to gain actionable strategies for transferring to, and managing digital records. Leave the day with the knowledge to excel in information management and take away practical guidance for the retention and deletion of records.
Previous delegates have said:
“A very well put together course which covered all aspects of Records Management you could possibly imagine.”
Departmental Records Officer, Natural England
“Excellent location and venue, course was very informative, excellent clear speakers with an excellent understanding of their subjects.”
Corporate Governance Implementation Manager, North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trust
“An excellent and informative course delivered by knowledgeable presenters. I would recommend.”
Agency Records Officer, Vehicle Certification Agency (DFT)
|About the Chair: Paul Gibbons
|Paul Gibbons is a leading expert in information rights and management with many years experience in the field. With a background in the pharmaceutical industry, Paul then became the first Parliamentary Records Manager, and later prepared the Mayor of London for the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act. His experience also covers working for a London Healthcare Trust and a college of the University of London.
Paul has subsequently worked as an information governance manager, managing compliance with the Data Protection Act and other legislation in the NHS and in higher education. Since 2010 he has been writing the respected FOI Man blog and now provides training and consultancy in information rights and management to the public sector and beyond.
09:15 - 09:45
Coffee & Registration
09:45 - 10:00
Chair's Welcome & Introduction
10:00 - 11:00
Workshop: Records Management and Legislation
In this session, delegates will benchmark their current records management procedures against the latest data protection legislation.
- Benchmark your records management procedures against current data protection legislation
- Understand other relevant records management legislation
- Ensure your records management procedures are compliant with legislation
11:00 - 12:00
Workshop: Instilling an Effective Records Management Culture
Delegates will work with the trainer and peers to create strategies to instill an effective records management culture.
- Effective cultural change: achieving buy in from management, and getting everyone to understand the importance of effective records management
- Understanding the terminology used in records management
- Benefits and risks associated with records management
- How records management assists compliance with GDPR and other legal requirements
12:00 - 13:00
Effective Digitalisation of Records
- Learn how to smoothly transition to paperless
- Develop effective scanning techniques and categorising of records to ensure the usability of your digital records
- Gain an understanding of the most up to date digital technology
- Learn how to use digital tools to help move away from paperless
- Develop techniques for managing digital records, including emails
- Digitising paper records – benefits and risks
- Take back a digital preservation action plan
14:00 - 16:00
Workshop: Designing a Retention Toolkit (flexible afternoon break)
This extended workshop session, gives you the practical guidance to develop more effective retention schedules.
- Identify what records should be retained and when to delete
- Ensure your retention schedule complies with the GDPR
- Disposing of records securely and correctly
- Develop a more effective retention plan to your organisation
- Ensure that your retention schedule reflects the needs of your organisation
- Understand the different kinds of retention schedules and their strengths and weaknesses
- Apply your retention schedule in the most effective way
Take back a comprehensive toolkit
16:00 - 16:15
Closing Remarks & End
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to email@example.com or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email@example.com if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.