Accurate and concise writing is key to successful communication at work, whether in the office or working remotely. Increasingly high pressured work environments often mean that emails, reports, summaries and articles are completed at speed to meet the fast pace of mounting deadlines. This need for urgency in getting your communications out can mean that accuracy and brevity suffer.
Proofing and editing your work is vital to ensure that it is accurate, understood and credible. Exercising good proofing and editing techniques across all your correspondences is crucial to guarantee that you communicate the exact message you intended. Spellcheck may be a useful basic tool, however, can’t be relied upon for every error.
By learning advanced skills and techniques to put into practice, proofing and editing your work can be an efficient and speedy process. Through workshops and practical exercises designed to support rapid learning, this course enables you to dramatically improve your written communication skills and return to work with a confidence in your proofing and editing abilities.
Unlocking the Power of Virtual
Our virtual courses have been designed with you in mind. From group exercises in breakout rooms to live chat, whiteboards and interactive polls, we use a range of tools and techniques to ensure that you can connect with your trainer; network and share best practice with your peers and leave the day with the skills you need.
Our courses provide you with an interactive and engaging learning environment that can be accessed from any location, helping you to continue to connect, learn and grow. Click here to discover more!
Please note this course uses Zoom to deliver the course.
Please see below past delegate testimonials:
“Susan is a really great teacher. On Zoom it can be hard to engage people but she really got all the attendees chatting and contributing throughout the day. The day was set out really well. I enjoyed the group tasks as it gave us lots of opportunity to practically apply what we were learning about, rather than just listening, or talking. 10/10 would recommend” – External Communications Officer, Leonard Cheshire
“I would really recommend the course. Sue is a fantastic trainer and the day passed by far too quickly. Lots of helpful resources to take away, also very impressed with the smooth transition to online learning. Thank you!” – Senior Events Officer, King’s College London
|About the trainer: Sue Calthorpe
|Susan is an experienced communications professional who trains a number of high-profile organisations to enhance their communication, through writing in a more business critical way to writing more effective reports. Susan works with a wide number of public and private sector organisations to help improve writing skills and wider communications, with a range of training including production of communications strategies, face-to-face briefing, communicating complex information, presentation, media handling and key messaging and a variety of advanced writing and verbal presentation techniques.
Her recent clients include Aston Martin, Fujifilm, BP, LA Fitness, G4S, Hanover, Norfolk County Council, British Airways, Marks and Spencer, Devon County Council, Citizen’s Advice Bureau, The General Dental Council, the Wine Institute of California, Shelter and The Law Society.
09:25 - 09:30
09:30 - 10:00
Ice Breaker and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 10:45
Create Credible Copy
- Learn how to ensure that copy covers all relevant information, yet remains concise
- Understand how to adapt your editing to different audiences
- Recognise and overcome challenges to creating coherent, effective and efficient copy
- Learn from case studies and identify best practice in order to ensure improvement
10:45 - 11:30
Correct the Most Common Word Errors
- Determine methods for correct language usage
- Identify the causes of changes to the English language
- Recognise the common mistakes and learn best practice to avoid future errors
11:30 - 11:45
11:45 - 12:15
Learn How to Correct Spellcheck and Overcome the Cupertino Effect
- Test your current skill level with a proof reading exercise and implement practical remedies
- Take part in a group discussion to determine common issues
- How to use track changes effectively
- Understand which proof reading marks are still in common use
- Identify the importance of constructive feedback
12:15 - 12:45
Recognise Your Editing Limits
- Learn the difference between proof reading and rewriting work
- Determine how to be decisive without exceeding your remit
13:30 - 13:45
- Trainer will review the day’s learning and the next stages of the course
- Delegates will have time to ask questions and share views with one another
13:45 - 16:00
Edit for Length
- Practise separating ‘must know’ from ‘could know’ to create concise and readable copy to meet a deadline
Edit for Style
- Recognise the different media for different styles of writing
- Adapt source material for a variety of uses, from emails to blogs, and articles to reports
Edit for Consistency and Credibility
- Identify how to create text that readers want to read, rather than copy that they feel obliged to read
- Understand how to adapt your editing to different audiences
- Practise by writing a compelling, concise text
16:00 - 16:15
Round Up and Key Takeaways
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email email@example.com after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email email@example.com with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or firstname.lastname@example.org if it has been more than a week.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email email@example.com.