Whether you are writing emails, reports or any other written work, the grammar, punctuation, style and flow of your writing are fundamental in getting your point across effectively and succinctly.
By being more effective at proofing and editing your work you can ensure that it is accurate, understood and credible.
This course has been specifically designed to help those with varying different levels of writing; to be more proficient and confident at proofing and editing their own work.
Attend this course to gain the necessary skills to create credible copy, overcome using spell check and thoroughly edit your work.
|About the trainer: Sue Calthorpe
|Susan is an experienced communications professional who trains a number of high-profile organisations to enhance their communication, through writing in a more business critical way to writing more effective reports. Susan works with a wide number of public and private sector organisations to help improve writing skills and wider communications, with a range of training including production of communications strategies, face-to-face briefing, communicating complex information, presentation, media handling and key messaging and a variety of advanced writing and verbal presentation techniques.
Her recent clients include Aston Martin, Fujifilm, BP, LA Fitness, G4S, Hanover, Norfolk County Council, British Airways, Marks and Spencer, Devon County Council, Citizen’s Advice Bureau, The General Dental Council, the Wine Institute of California, Shelter and The Law Society.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer's Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 10:45
Create Credible Copy
- Learn how to ensure that copy covers all relevant information, yet remains concise
- Recognise and overcome challenges to creating coherent, effective and efficient copy
- Learn from case studies and identify best practice in order to ensure improvement
10:45 - 11:30
Correct the Most Common Word Errors
- Determine methods for correct language usage
- Identify the causes of changes to the English language
- Recognise the common mistakes and learn best practice to avoid future errors
11:30 - 11:45
11:45 - 12:15
Learn How to Correct Spellcheck and Overcome the Cupertino Effect
- Test your current skill level with a proof reading exercise and implement practical remedies
- Take part in a group discussion to determine common issues
- How to use track changes effectively
- Understand which proof reading marks are still in common use
- Identify the importance of constructive feedback
12:15 - 12:45
Recognise Your Editing Limits
- Learn the difference between proof reading and rewriting work
- Determine how to be decisive without exceeding your remit
13:45 - 16:00
Edit for Length
- Practise separating ‘must know’ from ‘could know’ to create concise and readable copy to meet a deadline
Edit for Style
- Recognise the different media for different styles of writing
- Adapt source material for a variety of uses, from emails to blogs, and articles to reports
Edit for Consistency and Credibility
- Identify how to create text that readers want to read, rather than copy that they feel obliged to read
- Practise by writing a compelling, concise text
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
etc. Venues – Prospero House, London
241 Borough High St
020 7105 6030
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected]