Globally, we create 2.5 quintillion bytes of data a day, and 90% of the world’s data has been created in the last two years. Because of this, the public sector is dealing with a greater volume of data than ever before. There is pressure to harness this resource, whether to improve efficiency or increase transparency.
When presented in the right way, data can be a powerful tool to communicate effectively with internal stakeholders and external audiences.
This course, led by data visualisation expert Alan Rutter, gives you the necessary skills to turn raw data into infographics, presentation slides, dashboards or reports that tell a clear story and drive the right outcomes.
|About the Chair: Alan Rutter
|Alan Rutter is a journalist, digital consultant, product owner and trainer. Until November 2014 he worked with Guardian Masterclasses on curating and delivering new course strands and teaching their B2B data visualisation courses for clients including the Financial Conduct Authority, the Home Office, Novartis, Haringey Council and Gloucestershire Police Constabulary.
He oversaw the iPad edition launches of Wired, GQ, Vanity Fair and Vogue in the UK, and has been working with Condé Nast International as product owner on a bespoke digital asset management system for their 11 global markets.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer's Introduction and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 10:30
Why Does Data Visualisation Matter?
- Why has data become a crucial way for organisations to communicate with internal and external audiences?
- Introduction to the key elements of successful data visualisation
10:30 - 11:15
What Makes Good Data Visualisation?
- Understand how to identity the story in the data
- The principle of self-sufficiency: how much can you remove to enhance the clarity of the message?
- Group discussion of good and bad examples of data visualisation, and what makes them that way
11:15 - 11:30
11:30 - 12:15
Data in Context
- Learn how to present data in different types of communications: written reports, slide presentations, email bulletins, press releases and dashboards
- Understand how data visualisations need to work in conjunction with supporting text and commentary
12:15 - 13:00
How Do People Process Visual Information
- Understand how to use layers and hierarchy to give your audience both an instant message, and the opportunity to explore further
- Short exercises in improving existing data visualisations by applying the lessons learned so far
- Know how to identify the right chart or graph for your data set
14:00 - 14:45
Key Design Principles to Live By
- Understand why visual elements must enhance the message rather than clutter and confuse your communications
- Learn quick and repeatable visual tricks that draw attention to the key information (without needing a graphic designer)
- Be aware of design and layout principles that will allow your infographics and visualisations to breathe
14:45 - 15:00
15:00 - 16:00
Design a Data Visualisation Toolkit
- Know which tools are available to help you quickly create data visualisations – including those in Microsoft Office, and free online options
- Be aware of the data governance considerations when using cloud based online tools
- Understand the trend towards digital and interactive data visualisation, and routes to further learning in this area
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
A: Company Name: Govnet Communications
Company Address: 3rd Floor ,St James Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M1 6PP
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 2 weeks, 1 week and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected]