Public sector and private organisations write for a diverse range of people, from stakeholders to the general public. Engaging these different audiences and getting the message across can be challenging.
Clear and concise copywriting is key to engaging audiences. By writing more effective copy, delegates can create confident, and persuasive copy that will engage any audience.
Led by copywriter and journalist Eddy Lawrence, delegates will learn essential copywriting skills that will help them collate and articulate information quickly and succinctly without losing the key points or tone of voice.
This Effective Copywriting Skills course will help delegates improve how they plan and write more effective copy. Delegates will learn how to research their audience to understand their needs and wants, and frame their message in a way that will make them want to take action.
|About the Chair: Eddy Lawrence|
|Eddy is a journalist, copywriter and editor. Eddy writes for The Guardian, Shortlist and Time Out, and regularly runs talks and masterclasses on copywriting for businesses and the public for Clever Boxer and Guardian Masterclasses.
Before that Eddy was Music Editor of Timeout, where he planned and commissioned all music content for Time Out London magazine and website, achieving a balance between big name interviews (Jay Z, Blur, Lady Gaga) and exciting new music from all genres. Find out more.
Trainer’s Introduction and Clarification of Learning Objectives
Research Your Audience
In this session, delegates will find out how they can engage with key stakeholders, services users and customers.
- Establish who your audience is: stakeholder, service users, students and pupils
- Develop an effective tone of voice in your copy
- The trainer will provide bad and best practice examples of copy
- Take a flexible approach to writing copy: academic, political or policy
- Quickly decipher information and material on your audiences
Defining Your Message
Learn effective methods to analyse your subject, and create a clear, compelling narrative that will appeal to key service users and stakeholders.
- Structure a piece of writing to make your organisation appeal to service users
- Effective features and benefits analysis
- Learn technical details of a policy or product
- Create a compelling story
- Learn from good and bad examples
- Understand the psychology of storytelling
Create a Comprehensive Copywriting Toolkit
Learn methods to free yourself from jargon-heavy blurbs, and put your message into readable, plain English readers will engage with.
- Understand the mechanics of writing
- Using rhymes to deliver messages
- Avoid monotonous writing
- Utilise social media for your public sector organisation
- Learn how to do press releases to engage with key service users
Copywriting Editing Masterclass
- How to ensure your finished copy is accurate, presentable, professional, and does exactly the job you need it to
Writing Put into Practice
- An opportunity to put everything you’ve learned into practice, and receive detailed personal feedback from the tutor
- Delegates will work through specific examples that are related to your organisation
Feedback, Evaluation & Closing Remarks
etc. Venues – Prospero House, London241 Borough High St
020 7105 6030
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 2 weeks, 1 week and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected]
Group booking discounts available