Public sector, third sector and private sector organisations need to write for a diverse range of people, from stakeholders to the general public. Engaging these different audiences and getting your desired message across using copywriting skills can be challenging.
Led by communications expert, Sue Calthorpe, this course equips you with the skills and tools needed to plan and create confident and persuasive copy, no matter the audience.
Learn how to research your audience effectively, collate and articulate information quickly without losing key points or tone of voice, and frame your message in a way that will gain a positive response every time.
|About the Chair: Sue Calthorpe
|Sue is an experienced communications professional who trains a number of high-profile organisations to enhance their communication, through writing in a more business critical way to writing more effective reports. Sue worked as a regional and national newspaper journalist prior to setting up a full-service communications company, now established for 25 years.
Susan works with a wide number of public and private sector organisations to help improve writing skills and wider communications, with a range of training including production of communications strategies, face-to-face briefing, communicating complex information, presentation, media handling and key messaging and a variety of advanced writing and verbal presentation techniques.
Her recent clients include Aston Martin, Fujifilm, BP, LA Fitness, G4S, Hanover, Norfolk County Council, British Airways, Marks and Spencer, Devon County Council, Citizen’s Advice Bureau, The General Dental Council, the Wine Institute of California, Shelter and The Law Society. Learn more here
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer’s Introduction and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 11:00
Research Your Audience
In this session, delegates will find out how they can engage with key stakeholders, services users and customers.
- Establish who your audience is: stakeholder, service users, students and pupils
- Develop an effective tone of voice in your copy
- Examine bad and best practice examples of copy
- Take a flexible approach to writing copy: academic, political or policy
- Quickly decipher information and material on your audiences
11:00 - 11:15
11:15 - 12:30
Defining Your Message
Learn effective methods to analyse your subject and create a clear, compelling narrative that will appeal to key service users and stakeholders.
- Structure a piece of writing to make your organisation appeal to service users
- Effective features and benefits analysis
- Learn technical details of a policy or product
- Create a compelling story
- Learn from good and bad examples
- Understand the psychology of storytelling
13:15 - 14:15
Create a Comprehensive Copywriting Toolkit
Learn methods to free yourself from jargon-heavy blurbs, and put your message into readable, plain English that readers will engage with.
- Understand the mechanics of writing
- Use rhymes to get your message across
- Avoid monotonous writing
- Harness social media for your organisation’s needs
- Learn how to make press releases engage with key service users
14:15 - 15:00
Copywriting Editing Masterclass
- How to ensure your finished copy is accurate, presentable, professional, and does exactly the job you need it to
15:00 - 15:15
15:15 - 16:00
Writing Put into Practice
- An opportunity to put everything you’ve learned into practice, and receive detailed personal feedback from the tutor
- Delegates will work through specific examples that are related to their organisation
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Closing Remarks
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected]