Given we are working remotely, and teams are often dispersed throughout the country, producing more concise and succinct briefings has never been more important.
In addition to this, Michael Gove has recently announced that “Submissions, the papers which are prepared to guide ministerial decisions, and which were once the glory of our Civil Service, have become in far too many cases formulaic, over-long, jargon-heavy and back-covering exercises. The ability to make a tight, evidence-rich, fact-based, argument which doesn’t waste words or evade hard choices is critical to effective Government”.
By attending this virtual Effective Briefing and Submissions course, acquire the skills and tools to write informative and compelling briefings, in the comfort of your own home.
Working with communications trainer, Sue Calthorpe, gain a comprehensive understanding of what you need to do to produce more effective submissions and briefings.
Gain the necessary tools and skills in a virtual environment to help inform, convince and persuade your peers and senior managers.
Please note we will be using Zoom to deliver this course.
|About the Chair: Sue Calthorpe
||Sue is an experienced communications professional who trains a number of high-profile organisations to enhance their communication, through writing in a more business critical way to writing more effective reports. Sue worked as a regional and national newspaper journalist prior to setting up a full-service communications company, now established for 25 years.
Susan works with a wide number of public and private sector organisations to help improve writing skills and wider communications, with a range of training including production of communications strategies, face-to-face briefing, communicating complex information, presentation, media handling and key messaging and a variety of advanced writing and verbal presentation techniques.
09:30 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer's Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 10:50
- Develop more effective planning structures to construct coherent briefings
- You will work through practical exercises with the trainer to help them develop effective planning structures
11:00 - 12:00
Writing Accurate, Brief, Clear and Deliverable Text
- Identify what tone best suits the type of information you are trying to convey
- Establish a single tone of voice from multiple documents
- Gain techniques to display facts in an engaging and informative way
- Create a clear structure and message throughout your piece of writing
12:10 - 13:10
Expressing Options and Asking for Decisions
- Producing key messages from complex documents while maintaining the author’s voice
- Learn where to put key facts on a page – ensure they are noticed
14:00 - 14:50
Elevator Pitches and Boardroom Briefing
- Learn how to give effective briefs ‘on the fly’
- Briefing accurately and engagingly
- Recognise common mistakes and how to overcome them
15:00 - 16:00
Producing Clear Summaries
- Learn how to produce a clear and succinct summary
- Utilise editing and selection techniques to include the most important and relevant information
- Ensure the text is engaging and informative
- Gain the tools to get the reader to hone in and understand the key pieces of information
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email email@example.com after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email email@example.com with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or firstname.lastname@example.org if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email email@example.com.