Effective briefings and submissions can help you explain complex information in a clear and compelling way, present ideas to diverse audiences and influence key decision makers. However, writing effective briefings can be a challenging and time consuming task for all public sector professionals.
By attending this Effective Briefing and Submissions course, you will acquire the skills and tools to write informative and compelling briefings.
Working with communications trainer, Sue Calthorpe, gain a comprehensive understanding of what you need to do to produce more effective briefings and submissions.
Attend this Effective Briefing and Submissions course to gain the necessary tools to help inform, convince and persuade your peers and senior managers.
|About the Chair: Sue Calthorpe|
|Sue is an experienced communications professional who trains a number of high-profile organisations to enhance their communication, through writing in a more business critical way to writing more effective reports. Sue worked as a regional and national newspaper journalist prior to setting up a full-service communications company, now established for 25 years.
Susan works with a wide number of public and private sector organisations to help improve writing skills and wider communications, with a range of training including production of communications strategies, face-to-face briefing, communicating complex information, presentation, media handling and key messaging and a variety of advanced writing and verbal presentation techniques.
Trainer's Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
Summarising: A Short Exercise
- Identify the key points in any text
- Effectively summarise the important information
- How to convey facts in an engaging, clear and accurate manner
Effective Business Writing Techniques
Combines tutor input with practical exercises to practise the dos and don’ts of effective summary writing.
- Recognise the main steps to effectively summarising documents
- Extract the ‘must know’ information in long documents quickly
- Identify the logical order and reproduce it more concisely
Summarising & Responding to Different Documents
- Identify what tone best suits the information you are trying to convey
- Establish a single tone of voice from multiple documents
- Producing key messages from complex documents while maintaining the author’s voice
- Learn where to put key facts on a page – ensure they are noticed
- Effective planning structures to construct coherent briefings
- Delegates will work through practical exercises with the trainer to help them develop effective planning structures
Elevator Pitches and Boardroom Briefing
- Learn how to give effective briefs ‘on the fly’
- Briefing accurately and engagingly
- Recognise common mistakes and how to overcome them
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 2 weeks, 1 week and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected]
Group booking discounts available