Due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the pressure it created, the health sector has experienced a surge in written complaints within the last year. Our Developing Effective Written Responses to Complaints in Healthcare course is timed to support you to deal with these complaints quickly and efficiently.
This virtual Developing Effective Written Responses to Complaints in Healthcare course, led by communications specialist Sue Calthorpe, gives you advanced complaint handling letter writing skills. Through a combination of expert tutor input, group discussions and practical supported exercises, learn valuable skills and techniques to resolve complaints in an efficient and compassionate manner.
By writing more effective responses to complaints, your organisation can improve its reputation; rebuild trust with patients, carers, and their families, and avoid escalation of complaints to the Ombudsman.
Through practical virtual exercises and the use of break-out rooms, efficiently embed what you have learned, and leave the day with the techniques and the confidence to write more effective responses to complaints, as well as a comprehensive booklet which will provide a reference for your return to work.
Unlocking the Power of Virtual
Our virtual courses have been designed with you in mind. From group exercises in breakout rooms to live chat, whiteboards and interactive polls, we use a range of tools and techniques to ensure that you can connect with your trainer; network and share best practice with your peers and leave the day with the skills you need.
Our courses provide you with an interactive and engaging learning environment that can be accessed from any location, helping you to continue to connect, learn and grow. Click here to discover more!
Please note this course will be delivered via Zoom.
09:30 - 10:00
Virtual Icebreaker and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 10:45
Patient Complaints: What’s Working and What Needs to Improve
- What are the trends in healthcare complaints?
- How do other organisations handle complaints: which systems work well?
- What experience do you need to handle complaints well?
- Understand the effect complaints have on both staff, patients, and their families
10:45 - 11:30
Best and Bad Practice
- Assess a range of real-life correspondence
- Identify best practice use of style, tone, vocabulary, presentation of facts, evidence and expert comment
11:30 - 11:45
11:45 - 13:00
Assessing and Planning Your Reply
- Understand how writers want their complaint handled and what they expect from the reply
- Develop planning tools to create a suitable reply
- Responding to complaints on social media
- Know when and where it is appropriate to respond
- Understand data protection and consent issues
- Using the appropriate style and tone of voice
- Identify ‘trigger’ points from correspondence to provide better responses
13:45 - 14:00
- The trainer will review the day’s learning and the next stages of the course
- Delegates will have time to ask questions and share views with one another
14:00 - 14:45
Practical Exercise in Complaint Handling
Create a response using the four boxes grid to embed the learning from the morning session.
- Practise planning a response
- Use objective criteria to deliver excellent peer feedback to help colleagues with constructive critique
14:45 - 16:00
Using the Planning Grid in Real Life
In this practical session, delegates will examine three real-life complaints and their responses to embed today’s lessons learnt.
16:00 - 16:15
Round Up and Key Takeaways