To continue to provide excellent services, public sector and third sector organisations need to be efficient, cost–effective and ensure reliable cash flow. In this environment, the public sector will have to consider commercial approaches as part of their strategy.
This Developing Commercial Awareness training course, led by David Elverson, will enable delegates to explore a range of techniques to help them develop a more commercial mind-set, in order to help them to generate additional income and provide improved services.
Chair's Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
What is Commercial Thinking?
- Understand what it means to be a commercial thinker
- Look at the services that you provide to identify commercial opportunities
Identifying Your Strategic Commercial Objectives
- Identify your key commercial objectives
- How to prioritise your strategic objectives
- Delegates will use strategic planning tools, such as PESTLE and Past, Present, Future SWOT to achieve the above
Develop a Strategic Focus
- Gain a strategic focus to make decisions on how to compete in the markets identified by the strategic objectives
- Explore the strategic focus you need to take
- Use the Ansoff Matrixas a tool to make decisions
How to See Your Service Users as Customers
- Learn how to see your service users as customers
- Customer segmentation will be introduced and you will apply the principles to your areas to identify the type of customers you have and what the key characteristics of those customer are
- The scenarios used earlier in the day will be revisited to explore who the customers are and how their needs vary
The Competitive Market Place
- Understand the competitive forces at play
- The different type of competition will be introduced and explored
- You will use Porters 5 Forces model to analyse your competitive environment
Meeting Stakeholder Expectations
- Identify key stakeholders who could influence your commercial environment
- You will then be encouraged to think of ways to utilise your stakeholders to help you to achieve your commercial objectives
Implementation and Dealing with Risks
- Effective commercial activity involves working with others to implement ideas and strategies
- The McKinsey 7S framework will be introduced as a way of health checking the organisation prior to implementation to identify whether it is ready to implement the plan in the most effective way
- Apply the key principles of risk management and contingency planning
Feedback, Evaluation and Close
etc. Venues – Marble Arch, LondonGarfield House
86 Edgware Road
020 7793 4200
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 2 weeks, 1 week and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected]