Strategic Communications has never been more important for the public sector. It is vital that organisations communicate effectively with its external and internal stakeholders to build trust, manage its reputation and engage them with its priorities and objectives.
On this highly-interactive virtual course you will learn the principles of strategic communications, how to align them with your corporate objectives and how to create your communications strategy. You’ll leave the course with a number of useful tools to use in your own organisation.
Through the use of virtual breakout rooms, to facilitate group work in smaller groups, enhance your communication strategies.
There will be plenty of opportune moments for you to network, share resources and experiences with other delegates. Gain valuable contacts with other like-minded peers to create that invaluable ongoing support network.
Unlocking the Power of Virtual
Our virtual courses have been designed with you in mind. From group exercises in breakout rooms to live chat, whiteboards and interactive polls, we use a range of tools and techniques to ensure that you can connect with your trainer; network and share best practice with your peers and leave the day with the skills you need.
Our courses provide you with an interactive and engaging learning environment that can be accessed from any location, helping you to continue to connect, learn and grow. Click here to discover more!
This course will be delivered via Zoom.
|About the trainer: Sheree Dodd
|Sheree Dodd is a former senior civil servant and strategist, who was responsible for strategic communications planning at the former Department for Trade and Industry and has led on strategic planning for the International Diabetes Federation.
A former Director of Communications at the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), Deputy Director at DWP and Head of News at the Northern Ireland Office (NIO), she offers a powerful combination of experience in leading complex communications activity as well as national media practice from many years as a senior political journalist. Find out more.
09:25 - 09:30
09:30 - 10:00
Virtual Ice Breaker and Clarification of Learning Objectives
- A quick video tutorial will be shown on using Zoom
- Breakout rooms will be used for delegates to introduce each other
10:00 - 10:30
Why Strategic Communication Matters
- Objectives and principles
- Exercise – how bad comms can help you fail!
10:30 - 11:00
Strategic Communications Leadership
- Aligning communications with your corporate objectives
- Where should communications sit?
- The role of leaders in strategic communications
11:00 - 11:15
11:15 - 12:30
Creating Your Communications Strategy
- Using insight to inform your approach
- Structure for a good communications strategy
- Choosing the right channels
- Turning your strategy into an action plan
Exercise – creating a communications strategy
12:30 - 13:00
Communications Stakeholder Mapping
- How your stakeholder map feeds into the comms plan
Exercise – creating your own stakeholder map
13:45 - 14:00
- Trainer will review the day’s learning and the next stages of the course
- Delegates will have time to ask questions and share views with one another
14:00 - 14:45
Creating your corporative narrative
- The importance of storytelling
- Telling your story through the user voice
- Broadcast vs conversation
- How to create your narrative
Exercise – writing your narrative
14:45 - 15:15
Social Media Tools
- Understanding digital and social media
- Which channels to use?
- Making sure you are ready to respond
15:15 - 15:45
Managing your Brand and Reputation
- Importance of horizon scanning
- The role of communications in reputation management
- Why it’s everyone’s responsibility
15:45 - 16:15
Measurement and Evaluation
- The importance of evaluation
- Evaluation tools
16:15 - 16:30
Round Up and Key Takeaways
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email email@example.com after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the replacement's details.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email email@example.com.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or firstname.lastname@example.org if it has been more than a week.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.