Implementing workplace diversity and inclusion is not only beneficial from an ethical perspective, it also has direct tangible benefits for the performance of your organisation and the engagement of your employees.
The Equality Act 2010 ensures that all workplaces are fair, equal and compliant with the law, however, developing a strategy which champions diversity and implementing a workplace culture of inclusion can help your organisation achieve greater staff retention and motivation, create a happier work environment and cut costs associated with staff turnover.
Join Employment Law Partner, Matthew Gregson, on this highly interactive one-day training course to learn how to champion diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Gain insight on a number of real life case studies to receive advice on how to respond to certain diversity-related scenarios, how to apply legislation in real terms and get an update on the ever-developing stance of the law.
Attend to hear from Helen Giles, Executive Director for People, at multi award-winning charity St. Mungo’s on their diversity strategy. Learn how their strategy and procedures have been developed, the results in terms of inclusion, engagement and business outcomes, and gain practical tips to replicate back at your organisation.
Work with the Chair to create a positive, innovative strategy to implement back at work and reap the benefits of a happier, more inclusive workforce.
|About the Chair: Matthew Gregson
|Matthew Gregson is a Partner at Anthony Collins Solicitors LLP – a specialist law firm working with public sector and third sector clients to improve the lives of individuals, communities and society. Matthew heads up the firm’s Employment Team and advises on a wide range of equality and diversity issues. He is often called upon to advise on high profile issues for clients and recent examples have involved advising on the occupational requirements in terms of religious discrimination; advising on the practical steps to take to avoid discrimination on the grounds of gender reassignment and defending discrimination proceedings in the Employment Tribunal.
Matthew has practical experience of the challenges in the sector having been a trustee of a local charity, a school governor, company secretary of a national charity and an elected member of a local authority.
9:45 - 10:00
Chair’s Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 11:00
Diversity and Inclusion: The Equality Act 2010 (EqA)
- The nine protected characteristics under the EqA
- Understand the different forms of discrimination
- The Equality and Human Rights Commission
- Public Sector Duty
- Discuss and ask what you know and assess how to fill the gaps in your knowledge
11:00 - 11:15
11:15 - 12:00
Case Study: Championing Diversity and Inclusion at St. Mungo’s Charity
- Hear from award-winning charity St. Mungo’s on the work they have done to increase diversity and inclusion across their organisation
- Know the positive business outcomes which can be gained through establishing inclusiveness as a core organisational value
- Gain practical tips which can be replicated back in your workplace
12:00 - 12:30
Diversity and Inclusion: Decisions in the Courts
- Hear about recent legal decisions in the courts
- Understand the implications of these for diversity and inclusion in the workplace
- Know how these updates can affect you and your organisation
12:30 - 13:00
Case Study – Gender
- Hear from the Chair about a real-life scenario when gender has been a topic of dispute
- Learn from what was done in this instance and the effects of this
- Discuss what could have been done differently
- Know how to champion gender equality in the workplace
13:45 - 14:30
Case Study – Disability
- Hear from the Chair about a real-life scenario when disability has been a topic of dispute
- Listen to what was done well and what could have been done better
- Know how to champion disability equality in the workplace
14:30 - 14:45
Diversity and Inclusion: What is Going to Change?
- Learn about a number of cases still to be decided
- Discuss future Legislation
- Current Consultation Processes
14:45 - 15:00
15:00 - 15:30
Case Study – Transgender
- Hear from the Chair about a real-life scenario when transgender equality has been a topic of dispute
- Learn best practice and how to incorporate positive strategies within your working practices
- Know how to champion transgender equality in the workplace
15:30 - 16:00
Diversity and Inclusion: Creating a New Workplace Culture
- How do you create a culture of diversity and inclusion in the modern workplace?
- What underpins the culture and how to communicate the message
- Develop an action plan on how to champion diversity upon your return to work
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Discussion, Evaluation & Close
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected]