In a pressurised environment the ability for you to present compelling written information accurately and succinctly is an essential skill to have.
In today’s multi-media environment, you need to master an array of different writing styles in order to engage with colleagues to service users.
This course comprises a combination of tutor input, delegate discussion and group work, to help you understand what you need to do, to write more effectively.
Attend this Business Critical Writing course, led by writing expert Sue Calthorpe, to improve your writing skills.
|About the Chair: Sue Calthorpe
|Sue is an experienced communications professional who trains a number of high-profile organisations to enhance their communication, through writing in a more business critical way to writing more effective reports. Sue worked as a regional and national newspaper journalist prior to setting up a full-service communications company, now established for 25 years.
Susan works with a wide number of public and private sector organisations to help improve writing skills and wider communications, with a range of training including production of communications strategies, face-to-face briefing, communicating complex information, presentation, media handling and key messaging and a variety of advanced writing and verbal presentation techniques. Find out more.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer’s Introduction and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 10:45
How Does Writing Work for the Public Sector?
- Good grammar, punctuation and spelling are the basic building blocks of all successful documents
- Understand the ideas that drive effective writing
- What happens if you never learnt grammar at school and now your organisation expects you to write like an expert?
- You will receive tutor input followed by several short, practical exercises to test your skills and answer your questions
10:45 - 11:30
From Brain to Brief - How to Translate Business Ideas into Intelligent Prose
- Understand the nuances of different writing styles
- Communicating your ideas concisely – which words should you choose?
- Being succinct and coherent
- Ask questions, test your knowledge and identify areas for improvement
11:30 - 11:45
11:45 - 12:45
Writing Effective Digital Copy
- Look at how people read digital content, such as emails and web copy to ensure you tailor your writing for the reader
- Communicating your ideas concisely – learn which words to use
- Know how to best structure digital content to get your point across in the most succinct way
13:45 - 15:30
Summarise Information in a Pressurised Environment
- Learn how to summarise information in a busy and demanding work environment
- Know what the reader wants in order to present the information in the best way
- You will discuss with the trainer and peers what information to put in and leave out
- Tutor input with a series of practical planning grids to create excellent summaries
15:30 - 16:00
Tables, Graphs and Other Visual Aids
- You will look at how you can effectively use visual aids to help the reader better understand what you are saying
- This session will let you explore a wide range of tools to help you present information such as: Q&A briefings; informatics; tables; graphs; flow charts, and word clouds
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 2 weeks, 1 week and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected]