The ability to make a long-lasting strong and assertive impression on colleagues and key stakeholders is an invaluable tool to have in the workplace.
Assertiveness can help you influence your colleagues, peers and external stakeholders in a firm and positive way, ensuring that you are perceived the way you intend to be and get the results you’re looking for to be successful.
This Assertiveness in the Workplace course gives you the core practical skills to communicate, use body language and manage a range of different scenarios – including difficult conversations – to get your point across in the best possible way, with a heightened sense of confidence and self-assurance.
Attend this Assertiveness in the Workplace course, led by communications coach Anne Walsh, to enhance and practise best ways of being assertive, helping you to become a more decisive and influential leader.
|About the Chair: Anne Walsh
|Anne Walsh is a Dialect, Voice and Vocal Communications Coach with extensive one-to-one and group business coaching experience in the private, corporate, public and charitable sectors with clients from the fields of Finance, Law, HR, Music, Publishing, Politics, Property, Local Government, Psychotherapy, Science, Medicine, Media, Art, Health and Well-being, IT, Teaching, Accountancy, Consultancy, Interior Design, Fashion, Journalism, Research, Secretarial and Administration, Higher Education (Lecturers and MA\PhD students.)
She was Voice and Communications Trainer at the Royal Central School of Speech & Drama from 2008-2012 and designed and delivered in-house training in London, nationally, and in Europe, Jordan and India.
Anne also works on Film, TV and Theatre production as a Dialogue and Accent coach.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer’s Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10.00 - 10.45
Assertiveness in the Workplace
In this opening session delegates will analyse core elements of assertiveness
- Define what assertiveness is using the four-point Model of Assertion
- When to be assertive? How assertive are you?
- Pinpointing barriers to being assertive with different people and situations
- Connecting assertiveness to self-esteem, values and confidence
- Assertive attitudes and behaviours for confident communication
- Berne’s Three Ego States in the Transactional Analysis Model
10.45 - 11.30
Assertive Language in the Workplace
- Assertive language: How to say what you want and what you don’t want
- Paraphrasing and clarifying to assist clear, direct, concise communication
- Body language: Posture, proxemics, gesture and eye-contact
- Communication and personal impact: Using breathing and voice tools to keep calm and exert strength
- Setting clear boundaries to deliver concise messages: Positive goal setting, setting limits, taking responsibility and accepting consequences
- Positive language: Positive verbal techniques for building rapport with assertion
11.30 - 11.45
11.45 - 13.00
Managing Difficult Conversations and Conflict
Through a series of practical exercises, delegates will learn how to manage difficult conversations and conflict
- Learn the best ways to approach difficult conversations
- Know how to adapt your approach when managing different people
- Understand how to avoid difficult conversations and produce positive outcomes for everyone
(1) “Saying No”
(2) “Asking for a Change in Behaviour”
(3) The Persistent Requesting Technique
14.00 - 16.00
Workshop: Assertiveness in Action
- Effectively use the skills that you have learnt throughout the day to become more assertive
- Clearly make your point and control over the impact you have
- Successfully deal with difficult people and situations
(1) Dealing with a person being aggressive
(2) Dealing with a person being passive/passive-aggressive
(3) Dealing with bad-tempered people
(4) Helping others to be assertive
(5) Asking for what you want
(6) Dealing with difficult people in meetings
16.00 - 16.15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.