Emotional intelligence (EI) is the ability to identify, understand, and manage emotions in yourself and others. By recognising all the key elements of emotional intelligence, including self-management, social awareness, empathy and how to respond to emotions, you can drastically develop your own management techniques and increase the morale and productivity of your team.
With stress now the most common form of work-related illness – a HSE study illustrates that 15.4 million working days were lost to stress, depression or anxiety last year*– the ability to cope with pressure and the demands of working in the public sector is crucial to both personal productivity and getting the most out of your teams.
Attend this one day Applying Emotional Intelligence and Ensuring Personal Resilience course, led by emotional intelligence and leadership coach Duncan Enright, to utilise EI to improve workplace well-being and employee performance. Develop a greater level of self-awareness and empathy, alongside an understanding of key techniques to enhance personal resilience.
Through a range of workshops and public sector focused case studies, this course provides you with a range of tools and long-term skills to enhance your professional career, through a deeper understanding of yourself and your emotions.
*Health and Safety Executive Report: Working Days Lost in Great Britain 2017/18
|About the Chair: Duncan Enright
|Duncan is an experienced EI trainer and leadership coach. He is a senior director with over 30 years of experience in the publishing industry, as well as a decade as a Vice Chair and Non-Executive Director of an NHS Trust. Duncan is an experienced director, influencer and communicator who has been both elected and appointed to senior roles in NHS, policy and local government. Find out more.
09:00 - 09:30
09:30 - 09:45
Trainer’s Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
09:45 - 10:15
Fundamentals of Emotional Intelligence
- Understand the fundamental science behind EI to influence your decision-making
- Develop skills to invoke positive emotions in people to achieve your professional or organisational goals
- How emotional intelligence can dramatically improve cooperation amongst your colleagues
10:15 - 11:00
Self-Awareness: The Key to Emotional Intelligence
In this session, delegates will spend time recognising their own emotions and how they affect their thoughts and behaviour, consider their strengths and weaknesses and in turn develop greater self-confidence
- Understand the way you apply your emotional intelligence style, preferences, and behaviour
- Determine how to effectively, and appropriately, apply your knowledge and feelings in a given situation
- Explore self-limiting beliefs that you and others may have, and consider the impact they have
11:00 - 11:15
11:15 - 12:15
Workshop: Develop Strategies for Different Personality Types
- Understand different personality types and how they form emotional intelligence
- Analyse the importance of empathy in demonstrating social awareness
- Explore the core strategies for responding to the emotions of others
- How to be more open-minded and agreeable; improve empathy skills; read people’s body language more clearly; see the effect they have on others and practise being emotionally honest
12:15 - 12:45
Apply Emotional Intelligence to Your Company’s Culture
- Assist employees to improve their performance by building long term capabilities
- Impact on the culture of your organisation by developing a coaching leadership style
- Thinking intelligently with emotions, whilst perceiving, expressing, understanding and managing emotions in a professional and effective manner
13:45 - 14:30
What is Stress and How Does it Manifest Itself?
- Gain an understanding of the theory and science behind stress
- Discuss what triggers stress and how it can vary from person to person
- Pinpoint factors and processes within your work that could be classed as ‘stressors’
- Discover ways to identify and combat stress in the workplace
14:30 - 15:00
Workshop: Developing a Personal Resilience Plan
- Hear a number of tools and techniques for reducing stress through personal resilience
- Work out which tools work for you and apply these to your specific day-to-day situations
- Develop practical solutions specific to your company’s culture
- Create a personal resilience action plan for you and your team
15:15 - 16:00
Workshop: Demonstrate Emotionally Intelligent Leadership
Delegates will participate in an interactive workshop that explains the six leadership styles and discuss their own personal strengths and weaknesses
- Discover a range of leadership styles and in which circumstances to apply them
- Explore areas of your leadership style that require further improvements
- Develop coaching techniques to improve how you manage potentially stressful conversations
- Develop a plan to take back to your organisation and improve EI and personal resilience, incorporating assessment of areas for workplace improvements
- Create efficient and successful teams through effective leadership
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close
America Square Conference Centre
1 America Square,
+44 (0)20 7706 7700
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected]