What are the blind spots in decision making? What are the behavioral and operational consequences of the way we frame our decisions? How can we be sure that we are considering all the relevant objectives for that important decision? And how to expand our solution space by creating more and better alternatives?
Given that decision making is a core competency for the civil service. It is essential that all central government professionals can successfully demonstrate this competency.
As a Manager you make critical decisions on a daily basis, which have a direct impact on your staff, organisation and yourself. Agonising over a decision or making the wrong decision, can often take up time, resources and money.
This Advanced Decision Making course helps you overcome the common traps that can inhibit your decision-making processes.
Attend this highly interactive ‘Advanced Decision Making’ training course to learn and then apply cutting edge methodologies, which will aid your decision-making process and overcome complex issues.
Leave the day with an actionable decision-making framework and novel awareness about key biases, which can aid your role as a Manager or Project Lead.
“This was a focused, well structure strategic decision making course that will have real impact in both my personal and professional life.”
Head of Science Policy, Department for International Development
“Dr Ferretti is clearly an expert in her field and used this to give us accessible and current information that can be applied to all types of work.”
Learning Manager, The Royal Parks
|About the Chair: Dr Valentina Ferretti
|Award-winning teacher of Risk and Decision Analysis at the London School of Economics and Political Science, the Wiley Practice Prize by the International Society on Multi-Criteria Decision Making and of the INFORMS 2017 Decision Analysis Practice Award.
She is also an Area Editor of the Journal of Multi Criteria Decision Analysis and of the International Journal of the Analytic Hierarchy Process. Has published widely in the field, in Journals such as the European Journal of Operational Research, Risk Analysis, Decision Support Systems, Environmental Modelling and Software, to name a few, and holds research visiting positions at multiple high ranking international Universities. Find out more here…
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer’s Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 11:00
Workshop: Theory – Science and Methodologies Behind Decision Making
- Why do people struggle to make an effective decision?
- Why do we need to make better decisions?
- Discover the science behind decision making
- Understand the role of behavioural science in decision making
- Meet the key principles of Organisational Decision Quality
11:00 - 11:15
11:15 - 12:15
Workshop: Framing the Problem/Opportunity
- Discover what are the hidden traps in the framing stage of a strategic decision process
- Learn how to appropriately frame the problem/opportunity you are facing
- Gain insights on how to engage key stakeholders and foster constructive disagreement
12:15 - 13:00
Workshop: Avoid Decision Making Paralysis
- Discover the reasons why we tend to miss relevant objectives when thinking about decisions
- Learn how to expand your initial decision frame
- Learn how to debias yours and your team’s decisions and take ownership of them.
14:00 - 16:00
Workshop: Decision Making in Action
In this interactive session, delegates will bring their own decision conundrums and will work in small groups to engage with Decision Analysis principles.
- Learn how to frame complex issues
- Practice making better decision making processes
- Gain the confidence to communicate more effectively your decisions
- Receive expert feedback from our trainer
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation & Close