Having an effective records management system in place is not only essential to the smooth running of an organisation, but also a statutory duty for many public authorities in Scotland.
Effective records and information processes can help Scottish public authorities successfully comply with GDPR, the Public Records (Scotland) Act and Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act.
This timely Effective Records and Information Management course provides an overview from the ICO on records management and legislation. Learn how to engender a records management culture throughout your organisation and gain tools and techniques to effectively manage your records. Develop and take back a retention toolkit for your organisation.
Attend this essential Effective Records and Information Management training course to gain actionable strategies for transferring to, and managing digital records. Leave the day with the knowledge to excel in information management and take away practical guidance for the retention and deletion of records.
|About the Chair: Paul Gibbons
|Paul Gibbons is a leading expert in information rights and management with many years experience in the field. With a background in the pharmaceutical industry, Paul then became the first Parliamentary Records Manager, and later prepared the Mayor of London for the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act. His experience also covers working for a London Healthcare Trust and a college of the University of London.
Paul has subsequently worked as an information governance manager, managing compliance with the Data Protection Act and other legislation in the NHS and in higher education. Since 2010 he has been writing the respected FOI Man blog and now provides training and consultancy in information rights and management to the public sector and beyond.
09:15 - 09:45
09:45 - 10:00
Chair’s Welcome & Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 11:00
The ICO, Records Management and GDPR
- Receive an update from the ICO on records management
- Ensure effective records management in compliance with GDPR
11:00 - 11:45
Workshop: Instilling an Effective Records Management Culture
Delegates will work with the trainer and peers to create strategies to instil an effective records management culture.
- Effective cultural change: achieving buy in from management, and getting everyone to understand the importance of effective records management
- Understanding the terminology used in records management
- Benefits and risks associated with records management
- How records management assists compliance with GDPR and other legal requirements
11:45 - 12:00
12:00 - 13:00
Effective Digitalisation of Records
- Hear the latest guidance and current best practice surrounding digital preservation
- Consider the benefits and risks associated with digitising records
- Discover the capacity planning tool and how to get the best results from it
- Develop techniques for managing digital records including email
14:00 - 14:45
Case Study: Effective Records Management
- Gain best practice techniques from Scotland’s largest local authority
- The Section 61 Code of Practice on successful records management
- Learn techniques for getting control over your information
- Maintain an effective audit trail of your records
- Ensure that records are kept securely
- Carry out an effective self-assessment of your organisation
14:45 - 15:00
14:45 - 16:00
Workshop: Designing a Retention Toolkit
- Identify what records should be retained and when to delete
- Ensure your retention schedule complies with the GDPR
- Disposing of records securely and correctly
- Develop a more effective retention plan for your organisation
- Ensure that your retention schedule reflects the needs of your organisation
- Take back a comprehensive toolkit
16:00 - 16:15
Feedback, Evaluation and Close
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email [email protected] after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email [email protected]