Effective records and information management has never been more important for public sector organisations, especially now with remote access to systems being a central feature of professional life. With greater dependency on technology, digital records are now at the heart of any public sector organisation.
This virtual course has been specifically designed to provide you with the essential skills to improve the management of your organisation’s records.
Gain an overview on records and information management fundamentals; benchmark your procedures against best practice; gain information management techniques for organising and finding information; perfect your digitalisation and preservation of records and develop a more effective retention schedule.
You will develop actionable strategies for managing digital records. Leave the day with the knowledge to create an information management programme and take away practical guidance for the retention and deletion of records.
There will be plenty of opportune moments for you to network, share resources and experiences with other delegates. Gain valuable contacts with other like-minded peers to create that invaluable records management support network.
Unlocking the Power of Virtual
Our virtual courses have been designed with you in mind. From group exercises in breakout rooms to live chat, whiteboards and interactive polls, we use a range of tools and techniques to ensure that you can connect with your trainer; network and share best practice with your peers and leave the day with the skills you need.
Our courses provide you with an interactive and engaging learning environment that can be accessed from any location, helping you to continue to connect, learn and grow. Click here to discover more!
|About the Chair: Scott Sammons
|Scott is an experienced Information Governance (IG) Practitioner having worked in IG across both the public and private sectors for 10+ years and qualified in various subjects including Data Protection and Information Management.
Scott is now independent and owns Lighthouse IG working with a range of councils, government departments, charities and businesses looking to improve how they handle and make the most of their records and data.
As a volunteer Scott has also been Chair of the Information & Records Management Society (IRMS) for the last 3 years, leading the development of standards and resources for those that want to handle and utilise information and records.
09:25 - 09:30
09:30 - 10:00
Ice Breaker and Clarification of Learning Objectives
10:00 - 11:00
Workshop 1: Information Management Essentials
In this session, delegates will discuss what information and records management aims to achieve. They will also explore how it supports compliance with data protection legislation’s and other laws.
- Understand what information management is
- Explain to colleagues what benefits and risks are associated with information management
- Learn how information supports compliance with data protection laws.
11:15 - 12:15
Workshop 2: Knowing What You Have
In this workshop, delegates will learn information management techniques for organising and finding information. A practical exercise will demonstrate the limitations of business classification schemes and the importance of working with colleagues when implementing new filing systems.
- Learn about the various methods that information managers use to help organise and retrieve records
- Understand when and how to use classification and filing schemes
- Learn how to develop file naming and version control policies
- Appreciate the relationships between information asset registers, GDPR ‘records of processing’ and other tools
12:15 - 13:00
Effective Digitalisation of Records
- Learn when – and when not – to consider digitalizing paper records
- Know what options exist and how to choose the right strategy for your organisation
- Understand the available scanning techniques
- Learn about the available standards and when it will be appropriate to destroy scanned records
13:45 - 14:00
- Trainer will review the day’s learning and the next stages of the course
- Delegates will have time to ask questions and share views with one another
14:00 - 15:00
Essentials of Digital Preservation
- Issues with managing digital records
- Learn about email management and its limitations
- Understand the risks to records over time
- Understand what options are available to preserve digital records.
15:00 - 15:15
15:15 - 16:00
Workshop 3: A Guide to Developing a Retention Schedule
- Identify what records should be retained and when they can be destroyed
- Dispose of records securely and correctly
- Ensure that your retention schedule reflects the needs of your organisation
- Understand the different kinds of retention schedules and their strengths and weaknesses
- Apply your retention schedule in the most effective way
16:00 - 16:15
Round Up and Key Takeaways
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Yes. Simply email email@example.com after you have booked the course, with your Purchase Order Number. Please quote your order number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Yes, a two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 542 9440. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 542 9440 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Substitutions may be made at any time but must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 542 9440 or email email@example.com with the replacement's details.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee.
A: Speakers presentations are sent a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or firstname.lastname@example.org if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio visual support and WI-FI.
A: Why not contact a member of the UMG team on 0800 542 9440 or email email@example.com.