Negotiation requires persuasion, but not all persuasion is negotiating.
Let’s start by these basic definitions…
According to Oxford Dictionary:
To persuade: ‘’to cause (someone) to do something by asking, arguing, or giving reasons’’.
To negotiate: ‘’try to reach an agreement or compromise by discussion’’.
The main difference between the two is that negotiating requires question, limitation and priority searching as well as exploring needs from both sides for better, more obvious trading opportunities.
The question is not which skill is more important to have but how to effectively use both in order to negotiate successfully and influence others.
- Appear confident. Looking confident and believing in success is one of the most important parts of being persuasive. If you do not trust yourself, then how do you expect others to trust you?
- Know who you’re dealing with. A key to successful negotiating is good knowledge of your audience’s background, needs and what motivates them.
- Preparation. Fail to prepare and prepare to fail. Make sure you and your team are on the same page and well-prepared for any reactions.
- Find a win/win solution. Think creative and work together to find solutions that meet the needs of both parties.
Understanding ModernGov Training Course
Why not attend our ‘Effective Persuading and Negotiating’ training which will take place on the 17th of July in Central London? Led by business development and strategy expert, Stuart Riddington. By the end of this highly practical one-day CPD Certified training course you will have learned to:
- Understand the theory and principles of persuading and negotiating
- Practise specific techniques such as active listening, positioning, persuasive questioning that work in both a professional and private context
- Learn how to negotiate convincingly in different public sector situations for maximum impact
- Build more successful partnerships
- Leave with knowledge and confidence to advance your case in every situation
Want to find out more?
If you would like to discuss any of the details you have read in this blog; including our ‘Effective Persuading and Negotiating’ training course, please email us on [email protected]
For training updates and other interesting content, follow our Twitter Page @UModernGov
Can’t make the date?
We can run this course for you In-House, at your organisation or a venue of your choice, on a date to suit you. Bringing your team together for a group training event is a great team building exercise, and we work closely with you to develop a bespoke training agenda that is completely tailored to your organisation’s requirements.
Contact our In-House training team on [email protected] or call 0800 542 9414 to find out more.