The Housing Ombudsman has now placed a greater focus on complaints being resolved from the first response and at a local level.
In order to achieve this, Housing Associations must be able to communicate efficiently and confidently in their written responses to complaints.
This Developing Effective Written Responses to Complaints course, led by communications expert Sue Calthorpe, will focus on understanding the customer’s point of view, best-practice of style and tone and effective planning of responses.
Through a series of practical exercises and interactive workshops, delegates will leave the day with the techniques and the confidence to respond effectively to complaints through letters and emails.
- Develop written communication skills and techniques to confidently respond to complaints
- Learn from best practice how to respond to a complaint
- Effectively assess and plan your reply
- Understand the customer‘s expectations and grievances
- Summarise complex information into a concise response
- Create credible correspondence to complaints
09:15 - 09:45
Coffee and Registration
09:45 - 10:00
Trainer's Welcome and Introduction
10:00 - 10:45
Housing Complaints: What is Working – and What Needs to Improve
- Overview of trends and insight into the most common complaints
- Understand the effect complaints have on both staff and the people who depend on the level of service they provide
10:45 – 11:30
Best and Bad Practice
- Assess a range of real-life correspondence
- Identify best practice use of style, tone, vocabulary, presentation of facts and evidence and expert comment
11:30 - 11:45
11.45 – 12:45
Assessing and Planning Your Reply
- Understand how correspondents want their complaint handled and what they expect from the reply
- Develop planning tools to create a suitable reply
- Identify ‘trigger’ point from correspondence to provide better responses
12:45 - 13:45
13.45 – 14:30
- How to summarise complex information into language and a structure that can be easily understood
- Introduce a six part grid to help with this process
14:30 - 16:00
Creating Credible Correspondence
In this practical session, delegates will create and give feedback on a range of letters to review and refresh personal skills.
- Utilise skills developed throughout the day to create letters
- Develop your own best practice
- Identify areas for improvement
16:00 - 16:15
Closing Remarks and End
We can also run this course for you, at your organisation, at a time and date that suits you. Please email [email protected] for more details.
“ Fantastic course, give a lot of information and new ways we can address all complaints confidently and best for our residence! ”
Customer Experience Officer, Rosebery Housing
“ I would recommend this training to all staff that are involved with complaints. An excellent trainer who made the training easier to understand. ”
Operations Support Officer, Barnet Homes
“ Very enjoyable and informative. This course will be very helpful in drafting responses. ”